I cannot run my Symantec Antivirus from Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot run my Symantec Antivirus from Windows 7.

It is possible that it is a incompatibility problem ?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

May I know which version of Symantec Antivirus you are using?

After searching on Symantec site, I found Norton Antivirus 2009 and it mentioned “Microsoft® Windows 7 ready****” on this webpage:

Norton Antivirus 2009

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If possible, please try to upgrade your Symantec Antivirus to this and see how it works.

For more information about Symantec Antivirus or Norton Antivirus 2009, please contact Symantec Support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:47 AM
  • Hello there!

I had the same issue with my Symantec Antivirus Endpoint -software. Installer has to be updated before the application can be succesfully installed.

1. Run LUSETUP.EXE from the SEP client folder
    2. Click Yes to install LiveUpdate (this might be hidden by another window)
    3. <wait while LU installs>
    4. Click OK (this too might be hidden by another window)
    5. REBOOT THE COMPUTER
    6. Logon again
    7. Double click setup.exe from the SEP client folder
    8. Walk through the install wizard
    9. Let it run LiveUpdate (if you chose to, or used Typical)
    10. Reboot

Worked fine for me :)

(LU is the meaning of LiveUpdate)
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know which version of Symantec Antivirus you are using?

After searching on Symantec site, I found Norton Antivirus 2009 and it mentioned “Microsoft® Windows 7 ready****” on this webpage:

Norton Antivirus 2009

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If possible, please try to upgrade your Symantec Antivirus to this and see how it works.

For more information about Symantec Antivirus or Norton Antivirus 2009, please contact Symantec Support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:47 AM
  • Hello there!

I had the same issue with my Symantec Antivirus Endpoint -software. Installer has to be updated before the application can be succesfully installed.

1. Run LUSETUP.EXE from the SEP client folder
    2. Click Yes to install LiveUpdate (this might be hidden by another window)
    3. <wait while LU installs>
    4. Click OK (this too might be hidden by another window)
    5. REBOOT THE COMPUTER
    6. Logon again
    7. Double click setup.exe from the SEP client folder
    8. Walk through the install wizard
    9. Let it run LiveUpdate (if you chose to, or used Typical)
    10. Reboot

Worked fine for me :)

(LU is the meaning of LiveUpdate)
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Ttthank you
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:46 PM
  • what is the SEP client?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:47 PM
  • And do we have this on our computer?
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:48 PM
  • what is the SEP client?

Symantec Endpoint Protection Client

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:55 PM
  • And do we have this on our computer?

Only when you have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on your system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Definately it wants me to run in normal mode but when i go to compatibility there is no such thing as normal mode unless they mean windows 7 which my computer is now running on.
    • Proposed as answer by cynple Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:03 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Definately it wants me to run in normal mode but when i go to compatibility there is no such thing as normal mode unless they mean windows 7 which my computer is now running on.

You need to explain exactly what you are talking about.

What is wanting you to run in "normal" mode?

Compatibility is for what environment the program thinks it is running in; Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc.

What exactly are you proposing you have answered?  I don't see anything you have answered!

Friday, April 26, 2013 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

I am Chetan Savade from Symantec Technical Support Team.

You are correct, Symantec Antivirus is not compatible with Windows7.

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 Release Update 7 (RU7) and Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 or higher is supported on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. For information on getting the latest release, read the document Obtaining the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec Network Access Control.

Reference: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94910

Here is the link to find out details of SEP release versions.

http://bit.ly/m0vOJp

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:18 PM