My computer keeps acting like its shutting down but then locks up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I was recently playing a game and all of a sudden my computer keeps acting like its shutting down but then locks up just as its supposed to switch off it goes blank on my screen it has never done it before I have had it for a few years now I have played a few different games online and this has never happened before till recently. 

I have used a few anti virus programs to try and find a virus that could be causing it a few were found it said they were malware or Trojans and they got removed. I also tried to check for any other viruses nothing found I even uninstalled some games as well.

problem could my system hardware be failing? any help much appreciated.

I also cleaned it out thinking it was overheating could it be possible that the motherboard or proscessor its overheating and burning out.

Its windows 7

Brand Hewlett Packard
    Item Weight 10 Kg
    Product Dimensions 41 x 38.8 cm
    Item model number LN878EA#ABU
    Color Black
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Type Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed 2.9 GHz
    Processor Count 4
    RAM Size 4 GB
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Size 1 TB
    Graphics Card Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
    Graphics RAM Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card Ram Size 2 GB
    Operating System Windows 7 Edition Home Premium
    Lithium Battery Weight 25 grams

It said it had like 53% or more physical memory being used but I didn't have any applications running at all. What could be the problem.

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally speaking, this problem was caused by Graphic Card driver. You can try to reinstall Graphic driver for test.

Besides this, Event viewer may be record this event, you can check it for more details.

You can make a clean boot for test, to make sure whether it is because a  program or service caused your problem.

Please refer to the following link for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796?wa=wsignin1.0

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:42 AM
  • I did try clean boot yesterday but when I tried to play a game it caused the game to crash and I still seem to have high physical memory and I have updated the graphics card driver its a GeForce GTX 530 how do I reinstall the graphics driver and how to find this event viewer?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:01 AM
  • is there anything else I could try apart from reinstalling graphics driver? im worried its gonna mess up my machine even more if I do that lol

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

You can access to site below to find and download GetForce driver.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Firstly, try to uninstall your Graphic driver in Control Panel->Programs and Features. then restart your computer and install the driver you have download.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:14 AM
  • I have managed to reinstall graphics driver im gonna need to try a different game out as  shogun 2 cashes when I try to do a battle and it does mess the games up im having to reinstall it  now which is a pain.

Do you know what I can do about the high percentage physical memory problem and what else cn I do to try and fix the problem?

Im not sure if I should get a new machine or something else.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:58 AM