none
Interaction between Filters and Auto-filter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I seem to be getting some fairly random filter results of MS Project 2010. 

Can anyone tell me how Filters interact with auto-filters?

Scenario 1

So for instance if you apply a filter and get the subset of tasks - fine

If you then apply an auto-filter to that result set, does the autofilter indeed just apply to your result set or does in disable the original filter behind the scenes and apply auto filter to all tasks in the plan again?

Sometimes in this scenario when selecting autofilter values to exclude, my selections just seem to reset

Scenario 2

No Filters

Apply auto filter to one or two columns

Then apply a stored filter 

Again what will stored filter actually be applied to ? Just the autofilter result set or does it ignore autofilter and apply to the who project task list?

Have searched everywhere for info but no luck.

Regards

Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:58 PM

All replies

• newmodelarmytrooper,

I wasn't sure so I did a quick test. I was a little surprised but yes, autofilters and custom filters can be combined. My test case was thus. I created a a file with 5 tasks. In the Text2 field I entered 1.1, 2.1 2.2, 3.1 and 3.2. I created a custom filter with the criteria, Text2 contains ".1".

When the autofilter is applied first to eliminate the 1.1 task line, the remaining tasks appear. If the custom filter is then applied, only the task lines with 2.1 and 3.1 appear (i.e. 1.1 was pre-filtered out by the autofilter).

If the custom filter is first applied, the task lines with 1.1, 2.1 and 3.1 appear. If the autofilter is then applied, the task line for 1.1 is eliminated.

I don't know how this translates to what you are doing, but if you are seeing a "reset", I suspect there is some aspect of your autofilter/custom filter that you are not catching, or combining custom and autofilters does not universally apply to all fields. I'd have to see specifics to be of further assistance.

John

Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:09 PM
  • Adding to John's excellent reply, and not directly to the point of interaction between the filters:  I've been puzzled by fairly "random" filtered output when I have set an auto-filter and then removed the affected column from the view (i.e. by "hiding" it).  The filter is still being applied. (I don't recall if this also happened when I just changed the table on an existing view.)

That's one more reason to follow Trevor's advice and use the default views as much as possible.

Friday, January 15, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Tom,

Just for reference, a field does not need to be active (i.e. appear as a column in the view) for a filter to work.

John

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:55 PM
  • John,

Thanks for clarifying for others.  I should have said "I've been puzzled in the past" - the lesson was learned years ago.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Quickest way to display all tasks, especially if an auto filter column is now hidden is to use the short cut key F3.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:47 PM