none
Project 2007 General Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I have the following questions in regards to project server 2007

1. Is there a way to do version control? Currently, every time the PM sends out the project plan, the name is updated with the version (e.g.  Projectname_v2.0.mpp).  Can server handle this renaming or will giving new names just create duplicate copies of the file on the server? If so, are there any other better alternatives?
    2. When I check out a resource and make updates, the only way I know to get it checked back in is to close out of project altogether. Is there a better way?
    3. When I work on projects on the server but don't publish them, they're in the list everytime I open project.  Is there a way to clear this list if I don't ever want to publish/save those versions on server?
    4. I'm getting project plans from the different project managers and I'm seeing they have updated their standard calendars with exception days.  If I upload those plans onto Project Server, will these individual project calendars impact my overall project calendar? In other words, if one has an exception day for 6/5 ..another for 6/20.. another for 7/30, will all 3 of these days be considered nonworking days by the enterprise calendar and update all projects accordingly?
    5. I have to use multiple rate sheets to capture the different types of billings.  But as you can see, since Project only provides 5 tabs, I'm not sure how to handle this scenario.  I can't just change the effective date for a particular tab because these resources are assigned to other projects and they will be impacted by such a change.  I thought I could just create a duplicate entry for the resource in the resource pool and maybe put an indicator after the name to let me know it's a special resource rate, but Server will not allow me to add duplicate entries.  Any ideas?

I have resources that have the following rate types:

• Regular
    • Discounted Hourly Rates
    • Discounted Premium Hourly Rates
    • Discounted Expert Testimony Rates
    • Multiphase Same Rates (which can change project to project)
    • International Rates (which can change project to project)

Friday, June 15, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• Shaunda101 --

To answer your questions:
    1. Project Server 2007 does not have any type of Versioning feature, nor am I aware of any workaround.  I would not recommend creating additional versions of each project in Project Server 2007 as this will horribly skew your resource utilization in the system.
    2. When you check out a resource for editing, you are editing the resource in the Enterprise Resource Pool in Microsoft Project 2007.  All you need to do is to save and close the Enterprise Resource Pool.
    3. Click File > Options > Save and then click the Clean Up Cache button.  In the Clean Up Cache dialog, select any of the files you no longer want to see in the Open dialog and remove them.
    4. When you import your PMs projects into Project Server, the enterprise Standard calendar will overwrite the Standard calendar your PM has modified.  This is why you need to put your company�??s holidays on the enterprise Standard calendar, which is used by default in every project.
    5. There is no easy way around the limitation of only 5 rates per resource.
    Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, June 15, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Dale, thanks for the comprehensive reply!  A couple additional questions for clarification:

#1..So how can client determine if they have the latest version? Maybe on the project summary task line I can change it each time to reflect the version? Is that viable?

#4..I already have the enterprise calendar setup iwth company holidays.. but apparently for some projects, they will work particular weekends, so in their local copies they are creating exception dates on their standard base calendars.  I wouldn't want those exception dates updating my enterprise calendar.  So how can a project use the enterprise base calendar (to get holidays, etc) but also be able to have project specific exceptions?

#5.. lol.. Is there a "hard" way? I'm counting at least 9 different rate types.  Since I can't create duplicate entries, I'm not sure what to do.

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Shaunda101 --

#1 -- The saved version in the Project Server 2007 database should always been the latest version.

#4 -- In order to schedule work over a weekend, I would recommend that you create a new enterprise calendar called something like 7-Day Work Week that shows every day as a working day.  Then teach your PMs how to apply this calendar as a Task Calendar on every task that requires weekend work.  Like you, I would simply not recommend allowing your PMs to create and use their own calendars.

#5 �?? No, there is no easy way or hard way to work around the limitation of no more than 5 cost rates per resource.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Dale, for #4, if you have 3 projects going and project #1 needs Saturday, 6/23 to be a working day all day; #2 needs Sunday, 7/8 to be a working day half day; #3 needs Sunday 8/26 to be a working day all day.. In this instance, a 7 day calendar wouldn't work since one project just need Saturdays and one needs Sunday for half day, etc..  Should I create project specific special calendars to cover these different instances?
    Monday, June 18, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Shaunda101 --

You are catching on, my friend!  :)  The answer is yes, you would need to create different calendars for those situations.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:03 PM
  • LOL.. I'm getting there!!!  This is all new so I'm just fiddling along..haha!  Thanks so much for helping me!
    Monday, June 18, 2012 5:07 PM