none
How to see all projects in Project Center, but only edit one's own RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up my first PWA site using Project Permissions mode. I will have 70 PMs from 35 colleges and 35 projects in the Project Center (one for each college).  I want to set up the permissions so that they can open each other's files in read-only mode in MS Project but will only be able to edit their own (2 PMs per college).  I would appreciate any direction to get me started. 

Later Edit - I was seemingly able to accomplish my objective by customizing the permissions on individual projects.  (see screenshot below).  This method creates a maintenance issue if changes are needed.  I'm guessing there is a better best-practice way of doing this.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Edited by run4it Monday, May 6, 2019 10:03 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 9:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You should be able to do this with the default groups, just add the PMs to both the Portfolio Viewers and the Project Managers groups? Then thoroughly test to ensure this works as expected.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:33 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 10:28 PM
  • Paul - that was my initial approach but the PMs were able to edit projects other than their own.

Question - what is the difference in the Project Managers security group in PWA Settings > Manage Users and the Site Settings > Site Permissions >  Project Managers (PWA Synchronized) and the Project Managers for Web Apps?

Just had a thought.  Maybe all the PMs should be in the Portfolio Viewer Group, then I add each college's two users to the specific project's permissions with all checkboxes checked...

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Edited by run4it Monday, May 6, 2019 10:47 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 10:31 PM
  • When in the Project Permission mode, always add the users via PWA Settings > Manager Groups / Manage Users. Project Online will sync the users to the correct SharePoint groups found in Site Settings > Site Permissions.

If a user is just added to the default Portfolio Viewers group - that would give them read only access to all projects via the My Organization category. If a user was also add to the Project Managers group, this would then also give that user the ability to save and publish (edit) projects where that User is the Project Owner or the User is the Status Manager on assignments within that Project via the My Projects category. If those users are part of other groups or have direct project permissions to certain projects then this would not be 100% correct.

Paul

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:11 PM
  • So for both the Portfolio Viewers group and the Project Managers group - only use the Manage Users page and add them to both of these groups?

Is there a way to make two people the Owner so that they don't have to pass off owner ship back and forth in order to edit a project? Each of our colleges has a primary PM and a backup PM and each needs to be able to edit their college's project.

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:22 PM
  • Hello,

Correct, that should work.

No way to have more than one Project Owner but they way around it is using the Status Manager for the assignments in the project plan - you can have many Status Managers. The default My Projects category works with the user being the Project Owner or the Status Manager.

Hope that helps

Paul

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:57 AM
  • You can also utilize the Resource Breakdown Structure & its integration with Categories (Like "My Projects") to dynamically grant permission to projects to PMs. We don't manage project-permissions at all - it all comes from categories.

In your case, your RBS may need to look something like:

1) All

2a) college 1

PM 1

PM 2

2b) college 2

PM 3

PM 4

3b) college...

And then in the "My Projects" category, check the box for "Additionally, dynamically include projects in this category where:" "The Project Owner or a Status Manager on assignments within that Project has the same RBS value as the User"

Doing that would allow PM 2 to see and edit the projects owned by PM 1, but PM 3 and 4 could not.

Ian

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:01 PM
  • I was able to accomplish my object with two people being able to edit the project, by adding the secondary person to the permissions for the file.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:34 PM