none
DPM 2012 and VSS Hardware Providers RRS feed

• Question

• My question is around HOW the HW VSS backup works. Is DPM able to mount the snapshot to the DPM server, to avoid network traffic? Is there a configuration step Im missing or is this just the way it works? 

We see the following behavior:
    1. HW snapshot is created, and mounted to the Hyper-V host server
    2. Data is transferred over network from the Hyper-V host server to the DPM server
    3. Once the network copy is complete, the hardware snapshot is removed from the Hyper-V host server.

HW provider is installed on each Hyper-V host server and the DPM server, DPM server is FC attached.

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For DPM 2012
    =========
    VSS hardware provider was required if you wanted DPM to perform parallel backups on a Hyper-V clusters.
     If you did not have a hardware provider, then you need to enable csv serialization.
    VSS hardware provider takes the workload off the Windows server to maintain snapshot during backups.

For DPM 2012 SP1 and later
    =================
    VSS hardware provider was required if Hyper-V server is not (windows 2012 based) and you wanted DPM to perform parallel backups on a Hyper-V clusters.
     If you did not have a hardware provider, then you need to enable csv serialization for Windows 2008 based hyper-V servers.
    VSS hardware provider takes the workload off the Windows server to maintain snapshot during backups.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DW425s Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM only support SAN based (lan free) copy for initial replication (IR) creation and restores.  All normal backups are over the LAN, however, you can use a dedicated backup network so all backups are done using a seperate dedicated backup LAN.

Using Backup Network Address
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc964298.aspx

BLOG
    http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2009/03/26/so-you-want-to-try-a-backup-network.aspx

For SAN based (LAN FREE) Initial replica and Restores - see these blogs:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/01/05/how-to-use-san-recovery-option-and-mapping-data-source-volumes-to-windows-disks.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/01/how-to-use-san-based-recovery-in-system-center-data-protection-manager-2010.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Thanks,  this leaves me wondering why use the SAN method to initially create the replica, if it still gets copied over the network?  It seems to me this isnt using the SAN at all, other than mounting a snap shot on the Hyper-V host, just so it can copy from that over the network? I must be missing something still.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Hi,

For SAN based initial replica, the snapshot of the volume hosting the protected data is mounted on the DPM server and a disk to disk copy is performed bypassing the LAN.  For SAN based recovery, the snapshot of the DPM replica is mounted on the protected server and a disk to disk copy is performed bypassing the LAN.

However I digress, for normal backups, all data is transferred over the LAN.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Ok, so this means something must be configured wrong, because we are not seeing the SAN volume mount on the DPM server, but rather a large network transfer at the time of replica creation, with the SAN volume visible on the Hyper-V server (instead of the DPM server, which is where I expect to see it, and as you mention).

To clarify, we are talking about a standard initial replica creation when a VSS Hardware Provider is installed, right? In such a case it is supposed to automaticaly use the HW provider if it is there. This is not about the other manual SAN method. 

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

The two options to use LAN free copy are not automatic. DPM always uses LAN for normal initial replica, backups and recoveries. If you want to avoid initial replica using lan, then you can make a manual hardware snapshot, mount it on the DPM server and perform a manual replica load using the below procedure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399552.aspx

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:13 PM
  • I appreciate the information, however my question remains unanswered. This question is about how HARDWARE VSS is used with DPM, not the manual SAN method (thats not VSS) or general DPM backups. I am aware of the manual SAN method.

My question has to do with what is the point of hardward VSS snapshots if it just mounts it on the hyper-v host and still uses the network transfer?  I suppose it is only to facilitate CSV backups and thats it, if that is all then Im fine. Id just like an answer from some experts on my original question.  Thanks!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

For DPM 2012
    =========
    VSS hardware provider was required if you wanted DPM to perform parallel backups on a Hyper-V clusters.
     If you did not have a hardware provider, then you need to enable csv serialization.

For DPM 2012 SP1 and later
    =================
    VSS hardware provider was required if Hyper-V server is not (windows 2012 based) and you wanted DPM to perform parallel backups on a Hyper-V clusters.
     If you did not have a hardware provider, then you need to enable csv serialization for Windows 2008 based hyper-V servers.

• Marked as answer by DW425s Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Ok that make sense, thanks !
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:51 AM