Upgrade Skype for Business Basic 2016 to full version RRS feed

• Question

• Our current setup is:

Windows 10 LTSB 2016 64 bit

MS Office Pro Plus 2013 64 bit (not 365 version) installed on base image 

Skype for Business Basic 2016 64 bit (not 365 version) installed on base image & downloaded .exe from Skype website.

Need to:

Remove or upgrade SFB Basic 2016 version 

Install SFB 2016 Full version

Do Not remove Office 2013

To be honest i am looking for anyway to uninstall or upgrade Skype for business basic version as we have now purchased several hundred FULL licenses & users are now getting a pop up every time they login to upgrade.

This is proving quite difficult and I have spent over 2-3 weeks trying to find a solution. (Google is now no longer my friend).

How do i upgrade basic to the full version via command line or bat script?

Failing that how do I remove the basic version via command line or .bat script?

Failing that how do i remove or disable the basic version for all my users without logging on to every PC manually?

Just to clarify:

I do NOT want Office 2013 uninstalled (not 365 version) and left as is.

I do not want office 2016 installed.

I want the full version of Skype for Business 2016 installed (not 365 version), but with the basic version already installed i am not sure how to remove\disable it to over 500 users.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are meant to roll out by the middle of November.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 9:20 PM

Answers

• I finally resolved this by downloading OffScrub16.vbs file and placing it in a folder we created called IT at the root of C, along with the Office 2013 & Skype Full version installation files.

I then ran the below bat script:

C:\IT\OffScrub16.vbs LYNC /QUIET

C:\IT\setup.exe /adminfile C:\IT\SFB2016\SFB2016x64\updates\Skypex64withkey.msp

"C:\IT\SFB2016\SFB2016Update\Office2013\x64\setup.exe" /repair PROPLUS /config C:\IT\SFB2016\SFB2016Update\Office2013\x64\proplus.ww\SilentRepairConfig.xml

• Marked as answer by datachick Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:50 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi datachick,

First of all, SFB 2016 basic version cannot update to the SFB 2106 full version.

If you want to install the SFB basic for batch, you could open a thread in group policy forums, or you could install the SCCM to achieve it.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, October 12, 2018 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates for this issue, if the reply is helpful, please try to mark it as an answer,  it will help others who have similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 15, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Leon i wasn't sure if it can be directly upgraded and now I know. :-)

So my other option is to uninstall the basic version and install the full version.

We use Quest KACE sma to push out software and i usually test the uninstall string manually first (which is usually cscript\cmd\bat.)

I have managed to find the line for uninstalling the full version but not the basic version. and neither seems to do SILENTLY or without users intervention.

I tried the below but always get the "Are you sure you want to remove ..." pop up that you need to click yes

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /uninstall LYNC /dll OSETUP.DLL

Monday, October 15, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Hi ,

If you used the cmd, I test it, it will promote the alert

If you used the Quest KACE, you could try to connect the Quest KACE support, if they have some work around.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:28 AM
  • I finally resolved this by downloading OffScrub16.vbs file and placing it in a folder we created called IT at the root of C, along with the Office 2013 & Skype Full version installation files.

I then ran the below bat script:

C:\IT\OffScrub16.vbs LYNC /QUIET

C:\IT\setup.exe /adminfile C:\IT\SFB2016\SFB2016x64\updates\Skypex64withkey.msp

"C:\IT\SFB2016\SFB2016Update\Office2013\x64\setup.exe" /repair PROPLUS /config C:\IT\SFB2016\SFB2016Update\Office2013\x64\proplus.ww\SilentRepairConfig.xml

• Marked as answer by datachick Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:50 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:50 AM