Display control utility RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone point me to a utility which would provide control of a computer display's saturation, hue, color balance, etc ?

I have two uses for this functionality. First, a friend who is severely color blind has expressed a desire to switch the color display to monochrome. If the Red, Green, and Blue drive levels could be altered, my friend could set the saturation to 0 for monochrome or set the Red far stronger than Green or Blue allowing for a proper displayed image which is presented to compensate for the Red sensitivity weakness. I know such a set display would look very wrong to anyone with normal color vision, but this would be for a specific persons use.

Second, I do photo work and being able to see "all" the display parameters can be useful.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:37 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:08 PM

Answers

• Have you looked at the High Contrast Themes when you right click on the Desktop and select Personalize? Some of them may do what your friend requires.

Also, from Personalization, if you click on Display at the left, then Change Display Settings, then Advanced Settings, there is a Color Management tab (at least there is for my Samsung SyncMaster 931B LCD display). I don't know hot to use the Color Management settings, but there is a Help link that could provide some information.

Maybe someone else here can provide better information.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi Steaphany,

As Ztruker mentioned, your friend can try High Contrast Themes to see if it meets his needs.

In addition, Windows 7 includes an option for "Calibrate color". To do this, please go to Control Panel -> Personalization -> Display on the left pane -> Calibrate color on the left pane. Follow the wizard to make your own display. You may need to use the button on the monitor to change the settings.

For more information, please click "How do I calibrate my display" on the welcome screen of "Calibrate color".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 2, 2009 1:28 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 7:30 AM

All replies

• Have you looked at the High Contrast Themes when you right click on the Desktop and select Personalize? Some of them may do what your friend requires.

Also, from Personalization, if you click on Display at the left, then Change Display Settings, then Advanced Settings, there is a Color Management tab (at least there is for my Samsung SyncMaster 931B LCD display). I don't know hot to use the Color Management settings, but there is a Help link that could provide some information.

Maybe someone else here can provide better information.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hi Steaphany,

As Ztruker mentioned, your friend can try High Contrast Themes to see if it meets his needs.

In addition, Windows 7 includes an option for "Calibrate color". To do this, please go to Control Panel -> Personalization -> Display on the left pane -> Calibrate color on the left pane. Follow the wizard to make your own display. You may need to use the button on the monitor to change the settings.

For more information, please click "How do I calibrate my display" on the welcome screen of "Calibrate color".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 2, 2009 1:28 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 7:30 AM