Saving files from a remote app. (App-V) RRS feed

• Question

• We use App-V on 2008 Terminal server. Whenever an APP-V client gets the save dialog box to save a file from a remote app, they see there own profile folder when the save as dialog box shows up. This is the profile folder on the terminal server(2008) and ofcourse we do not want them to save files there. We did manage to block access to the user profile subfolders(they get the access denied error), but whatever I do, they are still able to save files to the root of there profile folder and there seem no way to prevent this. I found an AD policy that say's: "Prevent users from adding files to the root of their users files folder". But this does not do the trick and in the description of this setting it already say's that it does not prevent a user from saving files to the root of their profile.....Why would you ever want a user to save a file in their profile?? I just dont get this weirdness...

I also did check the Placesbar registry adjustment and tried that but this also does not prefent a user from saving files on the terminal server. Also the hide drives policy does not prevent this. (these were given as a solution to other users with the same problem, but its not a solution at all).

The ideal situation ofcourse would be to only have them see "my computer" with some network locations such as a "home" or "department" drive maping in the save as dialog box. Is there anybody out there who knows how to do this? 

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

This does not relate to App-V - I suggest you ask your questions in a RDS forum and if there are any chances to achieve what you want.

The behavior you are describing is the same as natively delivered apps via RemoteApp

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Is the behaviour of an App-V application any different to an installed application via RemoteApp? What about the behaviour when running a full remote desktop?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:36 AM
  • What about it? As i said, we are seeing this problem when users use App-V programs, not when they are in a "full" RDP session. I also did not report a problem with RDP sessions or pre-App-V solustions. So the problem I'm talking about is related to App-V usage to in our environment. So any helpfull anwsers are appreciated.

wtf

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:55 AM
  • You haven't been explicit as to where the problem does and does not lie. Without knowing your environment in detail, there are a number of scenarios that I would rule out or like to understand:

1. Does the same behaviour occur when the same App-V application is launched from a full desktop instead of via RemoteApp? Presumably yes but this test is important because EXPLORER.EXE does not load when an application is launched via RemoteApp
    2. Does the same behaviour occur if the same application is installed on the Terminal Server (instead of via App-V) and delivered via RemoteApp? Rule out App-V or ensure that running the application under App-V is the problem and isn't the default behaviour of the application
    3. Does the behaviour occur for all App-V applications or just some?
    4. What is the WORKINGDIR value in the application OSD file?
    5. Is the following key captured in the sequence? HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I am clear on the problem but microsoft minded people always search for the cause elswhere instead of themselfs. You are showing the same behaviour with these irrelevant questions. Instead you could admit you don't know the awnser and stop replying instead of trying to be smart. 
    • Marked as answer by remo1 Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by David WoltersModerator Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Remo, if you attempt to answers some of Aaron's questions you might get some answers.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:51 PM
  • You could look at the Prevent access to drives from My Computer and Hide these specified drives in My Computer GPO settings.  That answers your last question about hiding drives from the dialog box but I doubt that will solve the overall problem.

I'd further add...  Does this happen only the first time that the Save As is attempted or on all subsequent attempts?

In theory the last save location is remembered.  There are methods to default this for some applications.  There are other methods mind you for those applications that do not have settings that control this.

As Aaron asked...  Do you see this same behaviour when the application is installed natively (forget RDS or App-V)?  If the answer is yes then the question lies outside of either of these technologies.

If you're looking for help then you are best off answering the questions that are asked as it may help the community formulate answers that are better suited for you.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Ok,

The prevent or hide access to drives policy does not prevent the save as dialog box to start in the root of the user profile or keep users
    from saving files in there.

It does not only happen the first time, but over and
    over when a file is saved.

I tried to set the save location to the home drive letter to keep it as a default but after that users are still able to save in the root of their profile. They always seem to be able to access it from the drop down arrow in the save as dialog box.

OSD working dir: %SFT_MNT%

Yes, the same behavior occur when launching the app from outside App-V.

Yes, this behavior occur for all App-v apps where there is a save option.

I don’t think the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders” is captured in the sequence. If so, that should be listed under the
    virtual registry tab right?

• Edited by remo1 Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:47 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hello Remo, did you ever find a way to prevent users from saving to their profile folder? I've managed to remove users' ability to save to documents, favorites, server drives, but the default "save to" location for new users is their profile folder.

Once the user selects a different folder to save to (they are RemoteApp users and the only other folder they can see is \\tsclient\c), then that setting is saved.

Two things I can't find - 1. where that user-selected save to location is stored - I can't find in the server registry or in the user's local computer registry. 2. How to set the default save to location for new users.

I'd appreciate if you could share your fix, if you have one.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Hello Remo, did you ever find a way to prevent users from saving to their profile folder? I've managed to remove users' ability to save to documents, favorites, server drives, but the default "save to" location for new users is their profile folder.

Once the user selects a different folder to save to (they are RemoteApp users and the only other folder they can see is \\tsclient\c), then that setting is saved.

Two things I can't find - 1. where that user-selected save to location is stored - I can't find in the server registry or in the user's local computer registry. 2. How to set the default save to location for new users.

I'd appreciate if you could share your fix, if you have one.

Hi,

Yes. 

In the policy for the App-V servers, in preferences, I added the following registry entry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}\ShellFolder

Attributes
    REG_DWORD value: F094012D

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:53 AM