Add custom libraries to the Start menu RRS feed

• Question

• When you click on the Start button, the right pane contains several default libraries -- Documents, Pictures, Music, the current user's personal library, and others.  You can also create any number of new libraries.  However, they don't appear on the Start menu along with the default libraries.  Is there a way to make custom libraries appear there?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:13 AM

Answers

• Hi

I'm not sure about your idea to create an executable to pin to the Start Menu? This would take some research.

I would recommend using one of the available Libraries that you can add to the right side of the Start Menu.

Example: You could use the Documents library.
    First, add the Documents library to the Start Menu.
    Open Windows Explorer and select the Documents folder in the Libraries.
    Select the Locations link.
    Remove the default folders.

Add your Development, Office Tools and any other folders you wish to that library.

After this is complete, you can right click the Documents library in Windows Explorer, select Rename and name the library whatever you wish. Log off/log on and the name on the Start Menu will reflect the new name.

This will give you a handy flyout menu for all of those tools that you need to access often.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by JM6 Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:30 AM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 5:28 AM

All replies

• When you click on the Start button, the right pane contains several default libraries -- Documents, Pictures, Music, the current user's personal library, and others.  You can also create any number of new libraries.  However, they don't appear on the Start menu along with the default libraries.  Is there a way to make custom libraries appear there?

Hi

You can only display the Libraries that are options in the Start Menu / Properties / Customize menu.

If you wish to display a different folder, you can add the folder to one of these libraries and it will be displayed in the flyout menu when you click that library.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, April 30, 2010 12:39 PM
  • The default libraries are "Personal", "Music", "Recorded TV", and others that are fine for home users.  After one click on the "Start" button, I need to see "Development", "Office", "Tools", and others.  Adding them as libraries in the Start menu's right pane would have been second best.  Actually it would be better for my custom categories to be in the Start menu's left pane.

There is a way to add an item to the left pane that, when you click on it, shows a submenu.  But the only item that will show a submenu is an executable.  The "Getting Started" for instance is a call to rundll32.exe, with a dll as a parameter.  Another executable that shows a submenu on my Start menu is mstsc.exe, for Remote Desktop Connection.

If Microsoft has documented what an executable needs to do to tell Windows what submenu to display, I would write my own shortcuts for displaying submenus.

It should also be possible to write an executable that takes a folder path as a parameter.  It would then find the folder and display its contents as a submenu.  Would Microsoft do this, or else have they documented what I would need to know to do it myself?

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Hi

I'm not sure about your idea to create an executable to pin to the Start Menu? This would take some research.

I would recommend using one of the available Libraries that you can add to the right side of the Start Menu.

Example: You could use the Documents library.
    First, add the Documents library to the Start Menu.
    Open Windows Explorer and select the Documents folder in the Libraries.
    Select the Locations link.
    Remove the default folders.

Add your Development, Office Tools and any other folders you wish to that library.

After this is complete, you can right click the Documents library in Windows Explorer, select Rename and name the library whatever you wish. Log off/log on and the name on the Start Menu will reflect the new name.

This will give you a handy flyout menu for all of those tools that you need to access often.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by JM6 Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:30 AM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Thanks, that's what I'll do for now.  I'll post in other forums to try to find out how to pin executables that provide submenus.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:30 AM
  • When I had Windows Explorer open and right-click showed me the option to create a new Library, I was like, "All right!" Forgetting I was dealing with Microsoft, I automatically assumed my newly created Libraries would show up, or I would I would be able to set some preference to make them show up, in the right-pane Start Menu. It's just common sense. And I'm sure most every other user who discovered this thought the same thing.

This oversight is like putting a door in a house which opens to a brick wall. The most asinine thing about this is that, when you check the properties of a created Library, there is a grayed out but check-marked box at the bottom that says "Shown in navigation pane." Gah!

Microsoft is disconnected from the average user. They need to either try to reconnect their minds to how an average user  would think, or hire someone who can think like the average user. Or make more of an effort to actually listen to their users.

Anyhoo...

Christopher-J Carlson - "Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan"
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Doesn't work consistently for me - I have two Download libraries, only the default (username/Downloads) shows on the start menu. Same thing if I delete the default.
    theWeissGuy
    Monday, May 17, 2010 8:37 PM