none
Bitlocker Drive Encryption Option not available RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 10 Home edition and connect using my Microsoft Account. Therefore, I should be able to use the Drive Encryption. But I'm not able to access any options (based on different forum, I should be able to find something either in "Control Panel -> System and Security -> BitLocker Drive Encryption" or in "System -> About"). But unfortunately, the only options I have is in the System - About (I don't simply have a System and Security option in Control panel) is "BitLocker settings", when clicking on it, it just open the market place for me to buy a Pro version. Checking in the Disk Management tool, no encryption is specified in my different drives.

Is there something wrong on my machine or did I miss something ? Thanks

• Edited by SEB_CH Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:50 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• What works with home edition, is called "device encryption" and not bitlocker drive encryption, although the knowhow behind it is the same.

For device encryption, your machine needs an activated TPM chip. So please open tpm.msc and verify if a tpm is present.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hi Ronald,

Thanks very much for your quick reply and explanation. Got the difference now.

I do have a TPM chip and I'm able to start the TPM Management console. But still wondering how I can check if the device encryption is on and working ?

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:36 PM
  • I have no 1st hand experience since I hardly use the home version. If what I read is correct, using a MS account and having a TPM should do - Dev. encr. should turn on automatically and there is no way to influence it.

I hope others can add more.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:47 PM
  • Thanks again. Agreed that it should automatically be enabled and it seems I should have a Device Encryption kind of menu in the About screen, which I don't have... so wondering if someone has some tips to check if this is really enabled or not.

Thanks

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:07 PM
  • from the Windows 10 Specifications & Systems Requirements
    • Device encryption requires a PC with InstantGo and TPM 2.0.
    so you should consult your mainboard manual. 
    • Marked as answer by SEB_CH Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:42 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Ahh. That was it: InstantGo and the newest TPMs.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Thanks very much.

My laptop is TPM 2.0 but sounds it is not InstantGo... Sounds like I must upgrade to Windows Pro for getting the BitLocker (what a price just for Device Encryption ;-)).

Is there any limitation for using BitLocker if my laptop is not InstantGo ?

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:53 PM
  • No limitation, no.

You can upgrade to pro using a win7 pro key for little money.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:54 PM