none
DVD/CD Disc Drive Installed, But Doesn't Recognize Disc In Tray

Question

• I've spent hours and hours trying to fix it, and have found nothing really worthwhile online. I'm coming here in the outside chance someone else may have experienced something similar.

Basically, my Windows 7 laptop will no longer allow me to play dvd/cds (burned or store bought). The drive shows up in My Computer, is enabled, bios look good, etc, etc, but if I put a disc in it never autoruns or shows up with the disc name in My Computer, and if I double click the disc drive I get a "please insert disc" dialogue box and the drive door pops open. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and (for what it's worth) I don't think its a hardware issue because after I sent my computer off to Samsung for this same repair it came back completely reformatted the disc drive worked for a second. Then I started getting rid of some of the bloat ware in here (bought it at best buy... big mistake) again, and it shut down.

Here's what I've done or tried so far:
    - Uninstall, reinstall the drive
    - Updated the drivers
    - Updated dvd/cd drive firmware
    - Ran Microsoft's "Fix it" utility
    - Cleaned the lenses/laser
    - Remapped the drive to a different letter/path
    - Checked registry to ensure filters weren't an issue (the upper and lower)
    - Restored the laptop back to just after I received it back from the Samsung repair people (didn't work)
    - Undid the restore
    - Checked BIOS (I'm by no means BIOS-savvy, but it appeared that everything was in line with what folks were saying it should be)

And probably a few other things I'm forgetting. This is driving me crazy. I just started an online grad class and can't really feasibly send my computer back right now.

Anyone experience anything similar or know of some super magical solution?

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Samsung Electronics
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz
    6.00 GB RAM
    64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    TSSTcorp DVDWBD TS-LB23A ATA Device
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to boot with Safe Mode first to check if it works.

If issue persists, try set BIOS to boot with DVD, then reboot PC for test.

The issue may related with the DVD Rom, you’d better contact manufacturer for further check.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to boot with Safe Mode first to check if it works.

If issue persists, try set BIOS to boot with DVD, then reboot PC for test.

The issue may related with the DVD Rom, you’d better contact manufacturer for further check.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

I attempted both troubleshooting suggestions you had and the result was the same.  I tried with both a video game DVD and a burned CD (video).  I'm pretty much at wit's end, and I hope it's just the hardware at this point because I'm getting tired of having to reformat my computer over and over.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Try going to device manager and uninstall the DVD drive.  Reboot and let windows reinstall it.

Jerry

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Try going to device manager and uninstall the DVD drive.  Reboot and let windows reinstall it.

Jerry

I've attempted this at least twice without success. 

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Since the computer recognizes the drive and it is shown in Computer, both the power and signal are ok. There is a problem with the drive. Either the lens is dirty or the laser is dimmed. If your drives arrangement is exposed(meaning you can see the lens and the spindle when the tray opens), you have some luck. Take a lint free cloth(like spectacle cloth) and wipe the lens very gently. It might work. If the drive is hidden internally, you will need to take apart your laptop. Since taking apart a laptop will void the warranty and mat damage it if done improperly, go to the laptop manufacturer service center. This is a hardware problem and not a Windows problem at all.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:11 PM
  • I am currently experiencing exactly the problem you are describing with the same blu-ray drive.  Unless it was caused by an automatic upgrade, it was not because of any new program.  I hope there is a solution on this thread.  Can you tell me what worked for you in the end?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:52 PM
  • I'm pretty sure that this problem will be fixed by a firmware upgrade for the Blu-Ray Combo drive.

I also have the same drive and am having problems with it recognising blank DVD media.

If you have a Toshiba, Samsung, HP, Lenovo or Sony laptop I think they have a firmware upgrade for you.

I have an MSI laptop (GT680) and MSI's support seems to be quite bad.

I'll never buy an MSI device again.

• Edited by AusMatt555 Saturday, December 8, 2012 4:34 AM
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 4:20 AM
  • I've spent hours and hours trying to fix it, and have found nothing really worthwhile online. I'm coming here in the outside chance someone else may have experienced something similar.

Basically, my Windows 7 laptop will no longer allow me to play dvd/cds (burned or store bought). The drive shows up in My Computer, is enabled, bios look good, etc, etc, but if I put a disc in it never autoruns or shows up with the disc name in My Computer, and if I double click the disc drive I get a "please insert disc" dialogue box and the drive door pops open. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and (for what it's worth) I don't think its a hardware issue because after I sent my computer off to Samsung for this same repair it came back completely reformatted the disc drive worked for a second. Then I started getting rid of some of the bloat ware in here (bought it at best buy... big mistake) again, and it shut down.

Here's what I've done or tried so far:
    - Uninstall, reinstall the drive
    - Updated the drivers
    - Updated dvd/cd drive firmware
    - Ran Microsoft's "Fix it" utility
    - Cleaned the lenses/laser
    - Remapped the drive to a different letter/path
    - Checked registry to ensure filters weren't an issue (the upper and lower)
    - Restored the laptop back to just after I received it back from the Samsung repair people (didn't work)
    - Undid the restore
    - Checked BIOS (I'm by no means BIOS-savvy, but it appeared that everything was in line with what folks were saying it should be)

And probably a few other things I'm forgetting. This is driving me crazy. I just started an online grad class and can't really feasibly send my computer back right now.

Anyone experience anything similar or know of some super magical solution?

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Samsung Electronics
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz
    6.00 GB RAM
    64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    TSSTcorp DVDWBD TS-LB23A ATA Device

s3,

Going to your point of "starting an online....", the quick fix (not magical) would be to get a cheap external that would work.  If it were my 'puter I'd bring it with me, get the external (and seeing as how you went to BB go back to the same one) obtain the one you want, have that Geek Squad rep install it for ya right there, No, there should be no dropping it off, USB hookups are quick.  You might have to spend a coupla' minutes there though.  It works...Great, it don't then have them find one in your price range...put the onus on them....they sold it to you, have them figger' it out!!!!  :=))

Merry Xmas

horatio

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:07 PM
  • I got the same Samsung laptop with Windows7 and BD-ROM drive combo TSSTcorp DVDWBD TS-LB23A. Last month it started to have the same problem. It only read the Blu-Ray disc. If I put in a CD or DVD it said 'No Disc'. I tried everything as suggested here but none was working. I also bought an external USB DVD/CD drive (in hope to outsmart the bug!). But this USB drive also said 'No Disc'. I ran Windows Updates almost every week so my computer must be up to date with all Windows 7 fixes. I called Samsung support they said I might need to run a system recovery restore to its original version. But I didn't do that yet  and was reluctant to do this big task. I have never seen this kind of problem in the many years of my experience with PC. A disc drive that only worked with Blu-Ray disc and ignore all other formats. This 'bug or virus' must be very smart that it also blocked the DVD/CD drive from all USB ports (It recognized the drive but "No Disc" and ejected it). I suspected this bug was related to Windows 7 Updates or perhaps beyond and over its handle. This is VERY BIZARRRRE! 
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 12:39 AM
  • Deleted
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 9:05 PM