none
SQL Database Details:- Data Integration / Transaction Integrator RRS feed

• Question

• Respected Community Members,

What is the usage of "Enable DB2 Distributed Transactions" and Database server behind the Host Integration server 2010??

Even if i don't enable that option....the COMTI runs just fine.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:24 PM

Answers

• Nick,

This configuration option doesn't impact Transaction Integrator (TI) at all. It is used for the DB2 Provider and provides support for two-phase commit (2-PC) for connections to IBM DB2 databases using the HIS DB2 providers. 

The next configuration panel (Application Integration Setup) is used for Transaction Integrator. The SQL Server database on that panel is needed for TI. It is really only used for Host Initiated Processing (HIP), but the TI Manager MMC snap-in requires that this database be available.  

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nicksoft2011 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:08 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "database limitation". You can use any SQL Server edition with HIS. Some have even used SQL Server Express.

The database and its associated objects are created during the HIS Configuration process. The user running the configuration process would need rights to create the database. After that, the security on the database and its objects are granted to the HIS user groups (HIS Runtime Users and HIS Administrators).

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:36 PM
  • The database is small especially if you are not using HIP. If you are just using WIP (Windows Initiated Processing), the database really won't be used as far as storing any data. The database can be remote.

If you are using WIP, the database won't be accessed at all except when you run TI Manager. As I mentioned, when running the HIS configuration tool, the account that it is running under will be the account used to create the database. After that, access to the DB is controlled via the HIS User Groups that you configured. If the user logging onto the HIS system is a member of the HSI Administrators group, you will be fine.

TI WIP applications don't connect to or use the database at all so the accounts they run under won't matter as far as SQL Server is concerned.

Thanks...  

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:06 PM

All replies

• Nick,

This configuration option doesn't impact Transaction Integrator (TI) at all. It is used for the DB2 Provider and provides support for two-phase commit (2-PC) for connections to IBM DB2 databases using the HIS DB2 providers. 

The next configuration panel (Application Integration Setup) is used for Transaction Integrator. The SQL Server database on that panel is needed for TI. It is really only used for Host Initiated Processing (HIP), but the TI Manager MMC snap-in requires that this database be available.  

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks a lot for the update.

I found that HIS 2010 really requires SQL Server 2008 SP1 or R2.

But are there any Database limitation that we should consider??

Also whithin SQL Server database, what userID needs to have access in order for this configuration to work??

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:23 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "database limitation". You can use any SQL Server edition with HIS. Some have even used SQL Server Express.

The database and its associated objects are created during the HIS Configuration process. The user running the configuration process would need rights to create the database. After that, the security on the database and its objects are granted to the HIS user groups (HIS Runtime Users and HIS Administrators).

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:36 PM
  • sorry i mistated that....

What i mean by database limitaion...is database Size limitation????

Stephen..thanks for the update. We have the remote database server in this scenario...

So what ever login we use to login to HIS 2010 server, needs the rights to databases????

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:59 PM
  • The database is small especially if you are not using HIP. If you are just using WIP (Windows Initiated Processing), the database really won't be used as far as storing any data. The database can be remote.

If you are using WIP, the database won't be accessed at all except when you run TI Manager. As I mentioned, when running the HIS configuration tool, the account that it is running under will be the account used to create the database. After that, access to the DB is controlled via the HIS User Groups that you configured. If the user logging onto the HIS system is a member of the HSI Administrators group, you will be fine.

TI WIP applications don't connect to or use the database at all so the accounts they run under won't matter as far as SQL Server is concerned.

Thanks...  

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:06 PM