none
I still cannot get a VM to Resume from a Suspend step in a TS. RRS feed

• Question

• I built a VM (three times) using Standard Client TS. Added a Suspend and took a Checkpoint.

Then I installed a few things, shut it down, replaced the checkpoint with a new one.

Launched the VM and clicked Resume. It began the rest of the steps, WinPE, all that then I noticed Sysprep started and went away quickly.

The VM rebooted and went right to the desktop again, now with the Resume shortcut gone.

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:51 PM

All replies

• So I have another Build & Capture TS that works. The only difference between the two is that on the working one, I am disabling State Capture:

Generate Application Migration File,
    Capture User State,
    Capture Groups and
    Capture Network Settings

Also, in State Restore, I disabled
    Restore User State
    Restore Groups and
    Apply Local GPO package

In order for me to change anything in my TS now, since I created my VM using a LiteTouch ISO, I have to rebuild my VM and make a new ISO? How do you change your TS when you use a Build/Capture TS all in one? Does the VM read what is in MDT or is all of that copied to the C: of the VM at that point and doesn't read MDT any longer?

Friday, July 19, 2019 2:02 PM
  • So if you have made changes to your TS that builds your reference image, then you need to start over and build a new image because yes the TS has been loaded to the drive. Still if everything it automated, you should only need to start it and wait 30 minutes or so while a new image is created.

Most likely your TS changes haven't been made post sysprep running, so the TS being a build & capture in one doesn't make a difference.

Daniel Vega

Friday, July 19, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Thanks, that confirms what I thought. Where can I get more info on most of this?
    The basic questions someone would ask logically thinking about all of this, such as, modifying the post/pre-sysprep TS in a build & capture TS...whether or not that would change your TS. Or whether the TS is copied to the VM or if it reads the ISO each time.

That was one other question I had...once you generate a LiteTouch ISO for your VM to boot to...and now it made it to the Suspend step, it never does go back and read that ISO again, does it? From there on out it only reads from the Suspend forward which is stored locally. Mainly, I can regenerate a new ISO for some reason, yet my prior VM's (suspended) don't need it anymore. Is that correct?

Friday, July 19, 2019 4:31 PM
  • When you boot to the wizard (the iso boot image), it's all running from a drive (X:\) loaded to memory (RAM). After the TS writes the MININT and _SMSTaskSequence, shortly after formatting the drive, the task sequence runs from the local drive because during reboots it needs to be able to pick up from where it left off even if the network hasn't finished initializing. Most of what a TS processes is done locally, save for installers that run from a network share.

Your question about suspend, yes it only reads the TS from the point after the suspend but keep in mind the TS has already been cached to the drive when the sequence was first run. It shouldn't matter though because your suspend would have come just before it moves on to imaging.

I've never bothered to do anything with the Restore tasks because they aren't used, so it's perfectly safe to just leave them as-is. 

As for your last question, if you make a new boot image, your VM will not care because it's way past that point. Now if you are building a new boot image because you built a new Deployment Share or a new server, you are going to need to build a new reference image so that it can process the changes and save the WIM to the new share/server. But honestly how often will you be changing servers. You're talking about 20-30 minutes of time to build a new image which would likely be automated anyway.

Daniel Vega

Friday, July 19, 2019 6:07 PM