none
Logging into Sharepoint with a Different Domain

Question

• Hi,

I'm not versed in the technical language so hopefully my question comes out clear enough for an answer.

My company has sharepoint and we use it at its most basic level. I'm currently a user management admin. While we have a lot of active users everyone has not been licensed yet.

Ok the question: When I changed my username to a different one and tried to log in with it I was unable to. However I see my changed username throughout SharePoint. I went from, for example, Kelly@ 123 . com to Kelly@ abc . com.

Will someone give insight as to how I can actually login with the changed username?

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:40 PM

Answers

• I assume when you say you changed your username that you actually migrated the user to a new domain.  If you did that then you need to either give that new user permissions in SharePoint, so that they can login, or use the move-spuser command to move the permissions from the old user to the new one.  Of course this also assumes that there is a trust between the two domains.  If not then you won't be able to login from the new domain no matter what you do.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:42 PM

All replies

• I assume when you say you changed your username that you actually migrated the user to a new domain.  If you did that then you need to either give that new user permissions in SharePoint, so that they can login, or use the move-spuser command to move the permissions from the old user to the new one.  Of course this also assumes that there is a trust between the two domains.  If not then you won't be able to login from the new domain no matter what you do.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Hi kelly,

Any feedback about Paul's suggestion?

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Kelly Shais Monday, December 18, 2017 2:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kelly Shais Monday, December 18, 2017 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 1:24 AM
  • Paul, thank you so much for your reply. They had not been migrated over to a new domain.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 2:12 PM