windows xp to vista upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently cleared my hard drive with a clean install to xp. I want to install the upgrade to vista but can't find the upgrade advisor (It no longer exists0 when I put the vista disk and run it, it goes thru the complete procces then it says it's not compatable. I've installed xp and then to vista twice and never had a problem. How do I get the upgrade advisor to know what programs to uninstall from xp ? Thanks
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:20 PM

All replies

• It looks like you can still download the Vista Upgrade Advisor from CNet: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Vista-Upgrade-Advisor/3000-2086_4-10563929.html

However, you will have a much better performing system if you do a clean install of Vista instead of upgrading from XP.  The upgrade actually retains some files and settings that degrade Vista performance.

Plus, you must go to the manufacturer's website of your system or motherboard and check to see if all the Vista compatible hardware drivers and utility software for you system are available.  Microsoft does not write nor provide the drivers and utilities for third party hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:18 PM