none
MigrateDataSourceDatafromDPM script gives not enough disk space error RRS feed

• Question

• When I list disks using Get-DPMDisk, I get this:

Name          DiskStatus        NtDiskId TotalCapacit UnallocatedS DiskTypeLabe
                                                   yLabel    paceLabel l
    ----          ----------        -------- ------------ ------------ ------------
    DELL PERC ... Healthy                  1      1862 GB       301 GB Dynamic
    DELL PERC ... Healthy                  2      1862 GB       237 GB Dynamic
    DELL MD300. Healthy                  6       836 GB       108 GB Dynamic
    DELL PERC ... Healthy                  5      5587 GB      1519 GB Dynamic
    DELL MD300. Healthy                  7      2326 GB        94 GB Dynamic
    DELL PERC ... Healthy                  3      5587 GB        34 GB Dynamic
    DELL PERC ... Healthy                  4      5587 GB      1664 GB Dynamic

We are trying to move the data off of the old SAN (MD3000i) so I started with the 838GB one, which I assumed should be disk6.  I figured disk 5 had more than enough space to accommodate all of it, so this is what I ran:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> .\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName DPM1 -source $disk[6] -Destination $disk[5]

It starts to run and may actually move some things, but then it gives this error several times:   

Set-ProtectionGroup : The allocation of disk space for storage pool volumes failed because there is not enough unallocated disk space in the storage pool.

Do I have the disk numbers wrong?  The reason I ask, is when it is trying to move data, and I watch it in Disk Management, it seems like it is disk 3 that has new items being created on it.  And that would make sense as to why it says it is full.

But where do I find the correct disk numbers if that is correct?

Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:19 PM

Answers

• hi,

you are selecting your disk with $disk[6] so you are selecting the 6th (7zh) disk in your Array caus an PowerShell array starts at 0

so, if you are doing disk[6] you ar choosing diskId number 3

If you want your disk with ID 6, try $disk[2]

Michael Seidl

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:01 AM

All replies

• hi,

you are selecting your disk with $disk[6] so you are selecting the 6th (7zh) disk in your Array caus an PowerShell array starts at 0

so, if you are doing disk[6] you ar choosing diskId number 3

If you want your disk with ID 6, try $disk[2]

Michael Seidl

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:01 AM
  • Ok, thank you. So I guess it ignores the NT id and just uses the number in order, but starting with 0? That makes sense now.
    Monday, August 17, 2015 6:48 PM