none
VMware with UEFI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In my vmware environment I used BIOS for my virtual machine. I inject vmware drivers with his query

SELECT Model FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model = "VMware Virtual Platform"

It always works fine and installs the drivers. Recently I upgrade my Vsphere environment to version 6.7 and when I create a new VM UEFI Bios is set by default. I thought that's fine. However when I ran the same task sequence no VMware drivers will be injected. I ran the command "wmic csproduct get name" in cmd and the result was "VMware7,1". So obviously with UEFI enabled the model name is different. I thought that's no problem and copied my inject driver task and change it to

SELECT Model FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model = "VMware7,1"

However MDT still won't inject the drivers.

Any idea how I can get it working?

Thanks

Edy

Edy from Switzerland

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 5:47 PM

Answers

• Edy, In your WQL Query, you are using double quotes “ instead of single quotes ‘ around VMWare 7,1. Maybe try the single quote ‘ and see if that fixes it. LawsonT
    • Edited by LawsonT Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Edy Werder Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:04 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:10 PM

All replies

• Your WMIC command is showing you getting the name from CSProduct, which is Win32_ComputerSystemProduct.  Your WQL Query is getting the Model from Win32_ComputerSystem.  Sometimes the information in those properties are not set the same.  Depending on which bit of information you want to use, just adjust your queries.

LawsonT

• Edited by LawsonT Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:43 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Thanks for the hint.

Could you please tell me the WQL syntax to query it from cmd for the ComputerSystem?

Thanks

Edy from Switzerland

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:26 PM
  • WMIC ComputerSystem will return the information in SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem
    WMIC CSProduct will return the information in SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystemProduct

This is the correct syntax for ComputerSystem form the command line:

WMIC ComputerSystem get Model 

This is the correct syntax for ComputerSystemProduct from the command line:

WMIC CSProduct get Name
    LawsonT
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Thanks - the result is the same "VMware7,1"

Hmm - not sure why MDT can't inject the drivers.

Edy from Switzerland

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 8:20 PM
  • did you updated the function GetVirtualizationInfo() in your ZTIGather.wsf script?

Not tested, but found this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AdamGrossTX/status/1024739384128667649

Hope it helps

Regards,
    Markus

Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:29 AM
  • Hi Markus

Thanks for your input. Yesterday when I googled I noticed too there is a bug in a script that MDT doesn't recognize UEFI VM as a virtual machine. But the message was from two years ago and I hoped it is by now fixed. The last MDT version released I think was end of last year. Now the tweet from August indicates the bug hasn't been fixed yet.

Even there is a bug in the script, I think a wmi query should be able to inject the right drivers. I do this a lot with physical machines different models without any problem. So I'm not sure what is different with a VM when the model is correct even though MDT doesn't recognize the machine as VM.

Thanks

Edy from Switzerland

Thursday, August 16, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Edy, In your WQL Query, you are using double quotes “ instead of single quotes ‘ around VMWare 7,1. Maybe try the single quote ‘ and see if that fixes it. LawsonT
    • Edited by LawsonT Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Edy Werder Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:04 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:10 PM
  • Thanks - it was single quote. This fixed the issue. :)

So easy :)

Edy from Switzerland

Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:05 PM