copyright protection error when playing dvds RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else encountered this?  I haven't been able to find any info on fixing this.  When I play (in Windows Media player)a dvd  that has copyright protection, I get a "Encountered copyright protection error" message box.The movie begins to play in the back ground, but when i close the message box, playback ceases.  Protected dvds will not play at all in Media Center.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?  Is it a matter of reinstalling Windows Media Player?  Unprotected dvds play just fine in both.
    Sunday, June 18, 2006 5:49 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem. In fact I also saw it once on a Windows XP Media Center edition install.

I thought it was a codec issue in Vista so I installed PowerDVD in the hopes it would pick up the codec. It didn't but I could play movies using PowerDVD.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:50 PM
  • Yes, I have the exact same problem. In Windows XP, Media Player 10 can play a DVD perfectly fine if you have a third party decoder installed such as PowerDVD. But in Vista Media Player 11, I could not get a copy protected DVD to play.

I know it is frustrating if you only want to 'play' a DVD which you have purchased. Microsoft needs to fix this bug. This should only be an issue if you try to 'copy' the DVD.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:26 AM
  • Hello all,

What resolution is your display adapter set at? What device are you connect to: monitor, tv, projector, etc? How are you connected to this device: VGA, S-Video, Component, DVI?

Thanks!

John Mooney [MSFT]
    Windows Vista Media Center Beta Support
    Redmond, WA

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:29 PM
  • I have personally tried several resolution settings and I have also tried to use my s-video tv output. All without sucess. Is this a media player 11 issue? Or a windows Vista issue? I recently installed media player 11 on my xp machine but have not had the chance to try playing any dvd's on it yet. But definetly on my vista machine I am frustrated!!!
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:32 PM
  • My resolution is 1280x1024 at 32bit color.

My video card has DVI, SVGA, VGA out connectors.

I am only connected using the DVI out to my LCD monitor.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:36 AM
  • I have a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop.

768MB RAM

Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Family Graphics adapter

I've tried it with 1024X768 as well as 800X600 display.

I installed Power DVD which will play movies but video is a bit jumpy in  Vista.

Windows media beta and Media Center will not play  copyrighted dvds. Windows media will start to play the dvd , but a message box pops up stating that "windows media has encountered a copyright error".  Media center will not play dvds at all. It locks up the system regardless of display size.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:30 PM
  • Not had any copyright protection issue's with Media Center in WinVista, But have come across 'stuttering' issues while playing some of the DVD's I have - seem's to be on newer DVD titles I have bought recently.

The stuttering seem's to be fixed if I enable Hardware acceleration and Pal Tru speed in WinDVD 7 BUT DVD's don't play properly at all when using WinDVD 7 as a stand alone app. DVD's play fine in WMP 11 for me if I have the Tru Speed and Acceleration settings enabled in Windvd's decoder.

System Spec's are:

Intel P4 630 (3.0 Gigahertz) HT Processor,
    2.0GIG DDR400 RAM
    17" CRT Monitor
    16xDVD/RW Dual Layer Writer
    2x 250GIG Maxtor S-ATA Drive's 1x 80GIG External S-ATA Drive.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:48 PM
  • Yeah, i've had the same problems with copyright errors. funny work find on copied dvds, but not well on leagal ones. Is microsoft trying to imply somthing?? Anyone now a way to fix this without having to download a new dvd player?
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 7:36 PM
  • I'm seeing the same problem with Media Center. Anybody figure this out yet?
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 1:02 AM
  • Hey Microsoft,

Please provide us a solution to your 'buggy' version of media player 11 on vista! In order to sell vista to the public when the final release is issued you 'really' do need to fix this rather annoying bug. I can understand how you would want to prevent people from copying a copyrighted dvd, but in my case I just want to "PLAY" a dvd which I already own. Most third party dvd software such as power dvd will not work with Vista.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 3:49 PM
  • well i got media center but in the normal wmp 11 the dvd will not play at all, but when i start media center it self it will play just fine in there, but i dont know how that can be its the same story with legal and ilegal dvd's
    Thursday, November 2, 2006 12:12 PM
  • Standard HP DV6000 laptop running 1280 x 860 I believe... I'll have to check that but whatever the maximum resolution is with the HP laptop.  I have 2gb's ram installed and the display is a 15.4".  Processor is a Duo Core AMD TL-56 with the Nvidia Go 7200 video card.  I have a 100gb 7200rpm Hard drive and an HP analog TV decoder.  Standard DVD-RAM DVD-CD/RW drive installed.  I'm also experiencing another problem.  When trying to play DVD's with the standard windows Media Player in Vista I'm getting an Out of Memory message. 

What this means base is I cannot watch TV, DVD's DVD's on Using Vista.  I can Play CD in either the media center or the media player.  Can you please address this problem and give me some direction or some patches that will rectify the problem.  I'm anxious to move forward with Vista.

David Alan Taylor/President

Solutions Unlimited Inc.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 6:13 PM
  • Not to fear...it is not only vista. I am running xp media center and I have run into this "time bomb" as of Dec 1 2006. I set the clock back and all players play dvd's....post dec1.....no go.
    Saturday, December 2, 2006 11:16 AM
  • My problem went away after downloading new codecs from a site on the internet. Don't recall which site I found them on.
    Sunday, December 3, 2006 5:49 PM
  • I have the same problem as gregoica, and it looks like there's software bug which should be resolved soon.

Accoring to the Dell website:

All,

There is an issue with Cineplayer not working.  That could be no video, no audio or corrupted video.  We’re aware of the issue and are working with Sonic on getting this resolved shortly. 

The problem only manifests when the clock is set to the month of December.  So simply change the date to another month and it will work.  

This is only a workaround.  We are currently working with Sonic to resolve this issue.  We’ve been told that a patch should be available by Wednesday, December 6th.

We apologize for the inconvenience and assure you we are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Sunday, December 3, 2006 8:37 PM