none
SteadyState v2.5 Can't Remove Outlook from Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have just updated to version 2.5 on Win XP3 and the first issue I am having is regarding the  Outlook shortcut in the start menu. I have a situaion where on one PC "user A" can have access to outlook, but "user b", and "user c" do not need to have access or even know that outlook is ther on this pc.

When I design the profile (the one that doesn't need access to outlook) in the start menu (the one that flies out swhen you click on start )on the left side the only shortcut remaining is IE6, and on the right there are shortcuts only to my docs, my music, my pictures, my computer,  printer and faxes, search and help and support.

This is how I want this profile to look, I log off go into the admin account for this pc open steady state and export this user as a ssu file. However when I log back into the account I just customized in the start menu below the IE shortcut, there is the outlook.exe shortcut, this somehow always appears when you re-login after deleting it. I can reboot the pc, no change, import the profile I just created no change outlook still shows, what is the issue with this?

A more granular stat menu customization tab in steady state would be appreciated.Like a visual of the start menu for that user and then check boxes for you to select how it appears, updating with every check box you click on, allowing you to add programs to the list you want to appear in the start menu too would nice, that is user friendly!

Rob

Monday, July 28, 2008 12:39 PM

Answers

• 1) Outlook is set up as the default mail application for the user profile and therefore shows up in the default program section of the menu. I do not know if you can disable the default application for mail and so have only ie show up as the default program for web browsing. (Play with the set default programs under add/remove programs. Note, the user profile must first have enough rights to muck w/their own default program settings).

2) Exporting a steadystate profile only exports the steadystate settings. It does not actually export the user profile (user registry settings, user meny changes, etc....).
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• 1) Outlook is set up as the default mail application for the user profile and therefore shows up in the default program section of the menu. I do not know if you can disable the default application for mail and so have only ie show up as the default program for web browsing. (Play with the set default programs under add/remove programs. Note, the user profile must first have enough rights to muck w/their own default program settings).

2) Exporting a steadystate profile only exports the steadystate settings. It does not actually export the user profile (user registry settings, user meny changes, etc....).
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:33 PM
  • you don't need to change the user access for this.  what you need to do is go into the user that you don't want to be able to see it with the drive protection set so that you can save your changes.  then you will need to right-click on the start menu (so make sure that's enabled as well) and click "Properties"...under that menu you will see at the bottom accross from whichever menu style you have selected there is a "Customize" button, click that....then on the next menu there will be a click-box at the bottom for displaying the internet and email shortcuts on the start menu.  just deselect that and that should do it.  reset all your restrictions, save and should be good to go from there.

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:15 AM