What is the best way to extend the system partition on a Server 2003dynamic volume? RRS feed

• Question

• The only allocated portion of the disk in question is almost full (!) and I don't see an easy way to extend a dynamic volume containing the system partition. So far, it looks like the best bet is to image the hd and work on it off line with a third party program. Any ideas for a nube? Should I just let it be and format the unallocated space for a partition?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:55 PM

Answers

• On dynamic disk the system volume doesn't like other kind of volume, you could only extend data volume in disk management. System volume is not able. Unfortunately, so far, there's no software could resize the dynamic volume directly. The only way is to convert to basic first and then resize the basic disk. I have test the Dynamic Disk Converter which is mentioned above by Hanmei it works well. Your Os is 2003, therefore, the disk management has no resize feature, you could try to use other partition software such as Disk Director, Partition Assistant, Gpard.., you could read more details about this reliable partition software
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no built-in tool in Windows Server 2003 to extend the system partition. Only the extension of data volumes is supported. For logical drives, boot or system volumes, you can extend the volume only into contiguous space and only if the disk can be upgraded to a dynamic disk. To extend the boot partition or system partition in Windows Server 2003, you may need to use the third party tool EASEUS Partition Master Server Edition. For detailed steps, please visit the following link:

Extend System Partition on Windows Server 2003

Please note: we provide the third party tool for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

More references:

How to extend system partition in Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000, Server 2003 and Server 2008?

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, March 25, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Thanks for the response. We have EASEUS, but the head of the department doesn't like it. I myself am hesitant to use it, being that it is not giving what I would think to be an accurate report of the disk in question. EASEUS shows no unallocated space, while in reality there is over 100 gigs. Reading into the EASEUS guide, it seems to offer converting the dynamic disk to a basic, then resizing the volume, then re-converting to a dynamic disk. I don't want to loose my job over this, so I don't think I'll be doing anything of the sort. I may just use Ghost to image the drive and work on the image offline. I don't know, I may just format the unallocated space for a new volume. If anyone has anymore thoughts, I would really appreciate the insight. Thanks again.
    field
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:06 PM
  • On dynamic disk of Windows Server 2003, it does not support for extending system partition. The dynamic disk should be converted into the basic volume firstly, then extend the system partition.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Will converting to basic not erase all the data on the volume?

Also, I have partitioned a little of the unallocated space and mounted it the system partition. What do you think about this workaround?

field
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I had the same problem with my Server 2003. The partition filled-up over the years and I could no longer download anymore updates. I had to increase the size of the dynamic partition. I purchsed EASEUS Master Partition Server ($169.00) after looking all over the Web for alternative ways to increase the dynamic volume. I had to say, I was worried I might have to re-install the software. It was easier than I thought, I moved all the data files on the D: drive to a brand new drive I installed, uninstalled the D: volume, then increased the size of the C: drive. I had no problems and it was worth the $169.00 I paid for the program.
    DanPollock
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Have you tried Aomei Partition Assistant? Its Server Edition worked for me.

The Windows built-in "Partition Management" have the limitation only to extend the contiguous unallocated partition to the system partition. So I searched 3rd party partition software.

Here are some detailed tutorial, you can rely on:

How to Resize Partition in Windows 7/XP/Vista and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000?

Good luck.

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:22 AM
  • On dynamic disk the system volume doesn't like other kind of volume, you could only extend data volume in disk management. System volume is not able. Unfortunately, so far, there's no software could resize the dynamic volume directly. The only way is to convert to basic first and then resize the basic disk. I have test the Dynamic Disk Converter which is mentioned above by Hanmei it works well. Your Os is 2003, therefore, the disk management has no resize feature, you could try to use other partition software such as Disk Director, Partition Assistant, Gpard.., you could read more details about this reliable partition software
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Now, the most directly way to extend dynamic system partition for Windows server 2003 is using Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager, check the detailed instruction about this.
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Samuel Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:09 AM