Unable to disable security center checks via registry change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to get the action center notification checks disabled, without disabling balloon notifications altogether.

Due to limitations beyond my control, i'm not able to deploy GPO, so have been trying to use the registry change that can be found around the place (i.e. http://winaero.com/blog/registry-tweak-to-disable-action-center-notifications-in-windows-7/)

While this seems to be a common fix, it certainly doesn't work for the 3 test cases i've used. 

Does anyone have another suggestion, or has attempted and found the registry fix fails for them as well?

Thanks,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Migrating 2003 to new subnet and site,

Do you mean the balloon notifications from the Action center?
    Do you want to disable action center notification check without disabling balloon notifications?

Based on my research, if we disable the action center notification check, the balloon notifications will be disabled at the same time.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 12, 2014 5:17 AM
  • Hi Fangzhou,

Thanks for your reply and research.

I would like to either disable the flag icon and notification balloons for the security center, suppress the balloon popups or suppress the security center checks. The idea is to remove the security center from our user's view.

This key would do ideal, but apparently disables all balloon notifications which prevents other software we have running on site from operating: "HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER\HIDESCAHEALTH=DWORD:00000001"

I've also seen some user hive keys under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Action Center\Checks" which I can't get to work on my test workstations.

Finally, i've tried keys such as the following which were reported to disable each security center check:

;Override Windows Firewall Monitoring
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
    “FirewallOverride”=dword:00000001

Can you please confirm that none of these methods can be implemented without disabling balloon notifications, in which case we'll just have to educate the user base.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Jason

Sunday, December 14, 2014 8:47 PM
  • we are not able to disable action center notification check without disable the balloon notification
    Monday, December 22, 2014 5:37 PM