none
Issue loading one particular website RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is not necessarily SBS related but i have a Windows XP PC running IE8 on an SBS 2003 domain behind a firewall connected to a standard DSL modem (PPPoE).

For some reason I cannot open one particular website on any of the PCs runnig XP and IE8.

Opens fine on Vista and W 7 running IE8 & 9.

I cannot upgrade the XP PC to IE9 as it's not supported.

Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks,

pajoryan123

Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• You've not included the site name so I can't test it from here, but that looks like a DNS issue or similar. Can you ping it okay from those PCs? Can you at least try with Firefox/Chrome? if it only works with IE then I'd like to think you will at least get a message telling you as much, or a dummy web page or something. If yous till get a "cannot connect" error then it's probably not browser related.

Also check your hosts file, make sure there's no entry in there. Make sure a PING to the website name on that PC gives you the same result as it does from another PC.

Jim

Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:31 PM
  • "The PCL Online Service also requires the use of Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, or Windows XP."

Nice to see they are a modern website :-)

If you'd given this information earlier it would have helped tremendously, as it rules out a DNS or routing issue.

Try resetting the browser to default values, and try loading the browser with no add-ins. It could also be an MTU issue as that can affect SSL sites, and that's something you would have to check on your router.

Jim

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies

• "cannot open" - surely there must be some symptoms you can give us? Error message? Timeout? What about disabling "Show friendly error messages" in IE and trying again? What about trying Firefox or Chrome on the same PC to see if it's a PC problem and not a browser problem?

Jim

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:12 PM
  • "cannot open" - surely there must be some symptoms you can give us? Error message? Timeout? What about disabling "Show friendly error messages" in IE and trying again? What about trying Firefox or Chrome on the same PC to see if it's a PC problem and not a browser problem?

Jim

I just get the standard IE error message "cannot display the webpage". See attached.

The website only works with IE so Firefox and Chrome are no use.

Didn't know I could disable the friendly error messages.

pajoryan123

• Edited by pajoryan123 Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:26 PM
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:26 PM
  • You've not included the site name so I can't test it from here, but that looks like a DNS issue or similar. Can you ping it okay from those PCs? Can you at least try with Firefox/Chrome? if it only works with IE then I'd like to think you will at least get a message telling you as much, or a dummy web page or something. If yous till get a "cannot connect" error then it's probably not browser related.

Also check your hosts file, make sure there's no entry in there. Make sure a PING to the website name on that PC gives you the same result as it does from another PC.

Jim

Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:31 PM

Jim

https://www.pclpls.com

Tried it with Firefox and the site displays an error saying only IE supported.

I can actually get to the site. It's when i log in and try activate one of the functions that i get the error attached in the previous post.

Nothing in hosts files.

Thanks for replying.

pajoryan123

Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:05 PM
  • "The PCL Online Service also requires the use of Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, or Windows XP."

Nice to see they are a modern website :-)

If you'd given this information earlier it would have helped tremendously, as it rules out a DNS or routing issue.

Try resetting the browser to default values, and try loading the browser with no add-ins. It could also be an MTU issue as that can affect SSL sites, and that's something you would have to check on your router.

Jim

Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:29 PM