SCOM custom network management pack? RRS feed

• Question

• Technet,

I'm having a hard time finding a how to document on creating my own SNMP network monitoring management pack. I see a sample network monitor management pack online but with no further instructions.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, August 31, 2017 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hey there,

it should work without issues on Windows Server 2012 R2. This is also confirmed by Microsoft:

"The Management Packs generated using this tool are compatible with System Center 2016 Operations Manager and System Center 2012 Operations Manager R2."

Please try again, if not then I have something else for you. This is in my opinion the best series of articles on creating SNMP MP for network devices, written by Deniele Grandini:

Creating SNMP monitoring Management Packs for System Center 2012 Operations Manager [SNMP MP Chap 1] #scom #sysctr

In this first Part, at the end of the article you will find the links to the other parts. The series is very detailed and by following the guide you can create a SNMP MP for your device. Still with the MP generator tool this goes a lot easier. 

Hope you like it. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

• Edited by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by KLIFTIN Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

I'd suggest you try the official "network monitoring management pack generator tool" :

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/allthat/2016/10/19/system-center-operations-manager-extensible-network-monitoring-management-pack-generator-tool/

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 4, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

agree with Elton, you need the Extensible Network Monitoring Management Pack Generator tool. You can get it here:

System Center Operations Manager - Extensible Network Monitoring Management Pack Generator tool

When you got to the download, you will find a prety detailed guide there.

In addition to this here is a nice video about it:

Setup extended network monitoring

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Monday, September 4, 2017 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

agree with Elton, you need the Extensible Network Monitoring Management Pack Generator tool. You can get it here:

System Center Operations Manager - Extensible Network Monitoring Management Pack Generator tool

When you got to the download, you will find a prety detailed guide there.

In addition to this here is a nice video about it:

Setup extended network monitoring

Regards,

Thanks guys but just FYI I'm using 2012. I tried a couple random OIDs and followed the instructions but it wouldn't import. I think it's because I'm using 2012 R2. Has this been known to work on 2012 or is my effort futile?
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:40 AM
  • Hey there,

it should work without issues on Windows Server 2012 R2. This is also confirmed by Microsoft:

"The Management Packs generated using this tool are compatible with System Center 2016 Operations Manager and System Center 2012 Operations Manager R2."

Please try again, if not then I have something else for you. This is in my opinion the best series of articles on creating SNMP MP for network devices, written by Deniele Grandini:

Creating SNMP monitoring Management Packs for System Center 2012 Operations Manager [SNMP MP Chap 1] #scom #sysctr

In this first Part, at the end of the article you will find the links to the other parts. The series is very detailed and by following the guide you can create a SNMP MP for your device. Still with the MP generator tool this goes a lot easier. 

Hope you like it. Regards,

• Edited by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by KLIFTIN Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:02 AM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:27 AM
  • Thanks for taking the extra time to respond. We're looking into it now.

/k

• Edited by KLIFTIN Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:04 AM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:51 AM
  • It works, thanks. SolarWinds MIB tool compliments it but we can only get a trial.

Friday, November 24, 2017 5:12 PM