How to move a exchange2016 server to another site RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 exchange2016 servers in DAG. How can I move one server to anther DR AD site, which is physically in another location? What procedure should I follow?
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:43 PM

Answers

• You don't have to have a separate replication network, so, yes, you can use the same subnet for both.  You need one address for the computer (which would already be assigned) and you need to reserve one for the DAG.  The address is only used when the primary active manager (PAM) moves or is moved to that site.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, July 17, 2017 7:26 PM

All replies

• They are in different IP Subnets. 
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Try the following procedure:

1. Install a new Exchange 2016 server on DR site.
    2. Add the new server into the current DAG
    3. Add the mailbox database passive copies on the new server
    4. After replication is completed, we can move all active copies to another server, then delete one server from DAG in primary site, or still keep it. 

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for the answer but this is not what I asked. My question is I need move one exchange 2016 server to a different site in a different physical location. I don't want to uninstall exchange2016 ...etc. I just want to move the server in a whole to a different site. I want to make it work there. Is it possible?
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:42 PM
  • Yes, it's possible.  Just move it.  Before doing that, you'll want to configure the DAG with the new IP addresses.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:52 PM
  • Thanks. Is it possible to use same subnet for Replication network as Mapi network? for example use 10.1.1.1 & 10.1.1.2 for Replication for one site and 192.168.1.1 &192168.1.2  for second site for Replication. And use same subnet 10.1.1.x for database Mapi for one site and 192.168.1.x for the other site. This is to simplify cross site vlan setup. Is it ok to use same subnet for Replication and Mapi network for the same site?
    Monday, July 17, 2017 4:47 PM
  • You don't have to have a separate replication network, so, yes, you can use the same subnet for both.  You need one address for the computer (which would already be assigned) and you need to reserve one for the DAG.  The address is only used when the primary active manager (PAM) moves or is moved to that site.

Monday, July 17, 2017 7:26 PM