Veracrypt and bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I installed Veracrypt on a notebook with Windows 10 Pro (a bitlocker was not used). During reboot full encryption of the system disk - pre-test after entering the password unlocking veracrypt appeared bitlocker screen asking for the key in connection with changes in the system. Unfortunately, I do not have the key, because the bitlocker was not set during the installation of the operating system. Windows installed with a local user (no Microsoft account). Is there any chance of the pre-test being withdrawn so that the bitlocker is deactivated or some other way to run the decrypted drive.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Eugeniusz

Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

About how to withdrawn pre-test Veracrypt, I’d like to recommend you to contact the vendor of Veracrypt for more professional support.

On Windows side, I can only give a suggestion about how to deactivate BitLocker:

Title: How to turn off BitLocker in Windows 10, 8.1 or 7

https://windowsreport.com/disable-bitlocker-windows-8/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 14, 2018 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 17, 2018 12:39 PM
  • What happened is this: you only thought that BL was not active, but in fact it was and it operated with a TPM in transparent mode (no password needed to start the machine). When you installed veracyrpt, VC modified the boot sector, which the TPM chip does not like and which forced BL to recovery mode. You will not be able to access the data unless you return the drive in its previous state (hard) or unless you supply the BL recovery key which should be present in your OneDrive cloud storage at https://onedrive.live.com/RecoveryKey
    Monday, December 17, 2018 7:28 PM