Customize Ribbon - Drop-down buttons RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Is it possible to create a drop-down button, that reveals more options?

We do this, but I would like to have all the 'New Email' buttons be in a drop list:

Thanks

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 2:23 PM

All replies

• By default, these buttons will be displayed horizontally in the customized "New" group.

Are you try to create a group which will display all the buttons vertically, just like a normal drop-down list?

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Hi

Thanks so much for your reply.

What I would like to achieve is have my custom buttons in a drop-down, like you get with New Items...

So rather than having 5 buttons directly on the ribbon, have 1 button named say 'New', which then shows a drop-down of the 5 buttons.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Hi Lanky,

It depends on how much space you got on your ribbon. Outlook will automatically adjust the layout, e.g. if you have enough space on the ribbon, Outlook will then expand the group you just created and show all those buttons on the ribbon directly.

If there is no enough space, all of these buttons will be placed in a drop-down list:

Regards,

Ethan Hua

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 19, 2017 11:24 AM
  • Thanks Ethan.

But can I force it to be a drop-down list, like the default New Items... button?

That's what I want.  It just looks messy having 5 buttons permanently exposed when 99% of the time only Email will be used and none of the others.

I don't want the entire group to switch to a drop-down when screen size is small, I want a new 'New Email' button which is always a drop-down which shows the 5 email options.
    Friday, June 23, 2017 4:20 PM
  • I'm afraid it's not possible via the "Customize Ribbon" option. We're not able to customize the built-in design in Outlook.

I'd suggest you try in the following dedicated Outlook for Developer forum, and see if we can realize it with a scripted solution, e.g. with some VBA code:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev&forum=outlookdev

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Sunday, June 25, 2017 11:20 AM