AD migration RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a windows 2008r2 server with SQL server 2008, with the following roles and feature active in it AD service, DNS,IIS , DHCP, Hyper-v, Routing and remote access etc and other relevant features. Two days ago my system(server) crashed leaving my domain and LAN down and there is no way to boot up the system. Now i would like to setup another server as the previous one had crashed, so is there  any possible  way to migrate my AD from the old server to the new one as the old one cant be booted up.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:41 AM

All replies

• Your in the wrong forum my friend. But if you cannot boot up then you will have to launch recovery to be able to access your file system first before migrating your AD...
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Any domain should always have two domain controllers, in case one of them does this. If you have another DC in your environment, then you'll want to Seize the FSMO roles, Clean up your failed server, and Promote your new server in it's place, and let replication from the other DC fill in details. 

If this is your only domain controller, then your only chance is to do an authoritative Restoration of the server from system state backups. 

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:38 AM