Active Directory not connected to Domain Controller

• Hi

I am attempting to setup a new server with Windows Server 2012.  Install appeared to confirm as completing correctly.  When opening Active Directory Administrative Center I receive an error message "Cannot connect to any domain.  Refresh or try again when connetion is available."  I'm not sure what other information to post.  I've never posted on a forum.  I'm a small business owner.  I'd appreciate some help by someone patient with a novice.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:57 PM

All replies

• I'd start by making sure that you are logging into the machine with a domain account, and not logging in as a local administrator.
    Second, when the tool is open, try connecting to a domain using the full path ( rather than just contoso)

Also, make sure the machine is joined the domain.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply. I'm logged into the server. I only have this one machine on this network at this time. I'm logged in as domain name\administrator I'm unsure which tool you're referencing. When I open the active directory administration center, a login isn't requested. I'm assuming since I'm logged in as domain admin the machine is joined, but this may not be correct.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure Active Directory Web Services service is started on the domain controller in the domain. Ensure that it is set to start automatically.

Run below command:

nltest /dsgetdc:<domain NetBIOS name> /ws /force

Netstat -anob > ports.txt

Examine the ports.txt file and validate that the ADWS service is listening on port 9389.

If listening, validate the Windows Firewall rules and ensure that they allow 9389 TCP inbound. By default, domain controllers enable firewall rule "Active Directory Web Services (TCP-in)". If not listening, validate again that the service is running on this server and restart it. Validate that no other process is already listening on port 9389.

More details, please refer to the below article:

Yan Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:01 AM