none
Computer policy could not be updated successfully

Question

• What am I to do with this information that is presented by gpupdate?  There must be some action that I can take to fix the situation.

gpupdate /force

Updating policy...Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered:The processing of Group Policy

failed. Windows could not resolve the computer name. This could be caused by one of more of the following: a) Name Resolution failure on the

current domain controller. b) Active Directory Replication Latency (an account created on another domain controller has not replicated to the

current domain controller).User Policy update has completed successfully.
    To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html from the command line to access information about Group Policy

results.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

Check this out.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1135e023-6486-42d1-bef3-10e3d2a63ccc/computer-policy-could-not-be-updated-successfully

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Marked as answer by F7H2fw Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:13 AM
  • Check that your replication between your domain controllers is working. Also check the health of your AD

Also check that your windows time is in sync with all your computers and servers

Check the following guide:

http://www.networkangel.net/active-directory-health-check-tools

Cheers,

Andrew

MCSE, MCSA, VCP, CCNA, SNIA

Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant

Blog: Network Angel LinkedIn:

Note: Please remember to mark as "propose as answer" to help other members. Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Check this out.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1135e023-6486-42d1-bef3-10e3d2a63ccc/computer-policy-could-not-be-updated-successfully

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:13 AM
  • Check that your replication between your domain controllers is working. Also check the health of your AD

Also check that your windows time is in sync with all your computers and servers

Check the following guide:

http://www.networkangel.net/active-directory-health-check-tools

Cheers,

Andrew

MCSE, MCSA, VCP, CCNA, SNIA

Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant

Blog: Network Angel LinkedIn:

Note: Please remember to mark as "propose as answer" to help other members. Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:12 AM
  • It turns out one of the Domain Controllers was powered off. I powered it on, watched it reboot, and checked replication. Then performed the gpupdate /force. It was successful. I guess a powered off DC does present a certain degree of latency. The problem with the error message is that it is written by the programmer for the programmer. The IT Pro is left to guess what steps to take. Those should be explicitly given.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:05 PM
  • Hello,<o:p></o:p>

The error which you have metioned its directly related to the name resolution.<o:p></o:p>

Please check the preferred / Alternate DNS server. Check if you are able to ping the domain name (ping domain.local) and able to ping and access domain controllers of your site.<o:p></o:p>

Could you please share the event ID which must have logged under System, so I can give some more input.<o:p></o:p>

Regards,<o:p></o:p>

Mitul aka v-min<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hello,

The error which you have mentioned its directly related to the name resolution.

Please check the preferred / Alternate DNS server. Check if you are able to ping the domain name (ping domain.local) and able to ping and access domain controllers of your site.

Could you please share the event ID which must have logged under System, so I can give some more input.

Regards,

Mitul aka v-2min

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:44 PM