Migrating RMS to AD RMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could someone let me know how to migrate a Windows Rights Management services server to AD RMS (Windows 2003 SP2 Enterprise to Windows 2008 R2). Is it possible to do an inplace upgrade if the server is 64 bit supporting.

Regards,

ckanishka.

Friday, November 5, 2010 11:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Ckanishka,

Have you looked at the RMS to AD RMS Migration and Upgrade Guide (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754277(WS.10).aspx)? If so, can you be more specific about any questions or issues you have that aren't addressed by the guide?

Jim Groves Sr. Technical Writer Server & Cloud Division Microsoft
    Friday, November 5, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information. I'll post again if i get any questions later.

Regards,

Kanishka. 

Saturday, November 6, 2010 4:46 AM
  •  

Hi Jim,

I have simulated the customer environment in my PC and I am testing the migration. Could you please help me on these areas?

RMS is installed on a Windows 2003 server and the SQL DB server also installed within the same server.

I installed Windows 2008 R2 with SQL 2005 SP2 and added it to the domain and then installed AD RMS as “join in an existing AD RMS cluster.”

Initially I was unable to open the cluster and after making “enable32BitAppOnWin64="false"”  in IIS it worked fine.

But I am unable to access the licensing & certification URLs. The error is:

Server Error in '/_wmcs/Licensing' Application.

Windows RMS is attempting to use a database whose version is incompatible (current major database version:5). Please upgrade RMS to the appropriate version (major version:7).   

I restarted the IIS Admin and World Wide Web Publishing Services but did not resolve the issue.

*In addition to that I would like to know the way of

-Changing RMS cluster URL from old server to new one.  It is not a CNAME record and using the NetBIOS name of the machine.

Regards,

Kanishka.

Monday, November 29, 2010 9:17 AM
  • HI kanishka, this error occured in that case when you are joined higher os version in lower version in that case sql schema is upgraded that's why your showing this error. solution:- route all the request from existing (old server) to new server and than check.

Regards, Sukhdev

• Edited by Sukii Friday, December 30, 2011 9:48 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 9:47 AM