Support for .NET 4.6 runtime? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - with the recent release of VS2015 & .NET 4.6 I was wondering if the .NET 4.6 framework is now available on cloud service web & worker role guest OS's, and if not does anyone know a timeframe as to when?

In the meantime, is it recommended (if not available) to install the runtime manually using a startup task?

Thanks

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Looking at the Latest Azure Guest OS Releases and SDK Compatibility Matrix, it does not look like .net 4.6 is available in the Latest Guest OS releases for Cloud Services.
     https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cloud-services-guestos-update-matrix/

However the Below Azure SDK 2.6 for .Net Release Notes, does say you can Manually Install .Net 4.6 at Startup.
     https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/azure-sdk-dotnet-release-notes-2_6/

FYI, Install .Net on a Cloud Service Role.

Regards,
    Nithin Rathnakar

• Proposed as answer by Nithin.Rathnakar Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by MLeybo Monday, July 27, 2015 7:12 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Hi - with the recent release of VS2015 & .NET 4.6 I was wondering if the .NET 4.6 framework is now available on cloud service web & worker role guest OS's, and if not does anyone know a timeframe as to when?

In the meantime, is it recommended (if not available) to install the runtime manually using a startup task?

Thanks

I have the same question. I was just beginning the upgrade of our code to .NET 4.6.1 and Azure SDK 2.8 and I am getting a compile error that Cloud Service projects only support .NET 4.0 or 4.5.

Is there a config change I need to change the targeted OS for the VM, or is there no support for 4.6? If there is none, is this planned or should I be planning to change my Cloud Service project to a different type of project, and if so, what?

Friday, December 4, 2015 3:29 PM
  • I believe support in the base OS image is due sometime in the new year. I had to get around this issue by doing a manual automated install step in my startup task to install the .NET framework (see the above links)

I still get a load of warnings in my cloud service build telling me that the machine doesn't support .NET > 4.5 - I just ignore these.

Monday, December 7, 2015 10:41 AM