none
Auto schedule not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My project tasks (Project 2016) are set up to auto-schedule with predecessors controlling the start date of a task (finish to start).

But when I change the finish date of a predecessor task there's no change to the start date of the dependent task.

Could there be a setting I'm missing?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have a parameter in the file/options/schedule: calculateproject after each edit. It has to set to YES.

Otherwise, check that you don't have any constraints or actual work on the successor.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:15 PM
  • DG4066818,

To expand on Guillaume's  excellent response a bit, I notice you said you "change" the finish date. That leads me to believe you are manually entering start and/or finish dates. Doing so creates start-no-earlier-than or finish-no-later-than constraints which you can see in Task Information/Advanced or by displaying the Constraint Type field.

Also, you may find the following Wiki article helpful"

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30143.ms-project-why-a-successor-task-s-start-date-may-not-directly-follow-a-predecessor-task-s-finish-date.aspx

John

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Also, if the dependent task is not 0% complete (ie it has started) it will not move.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:28 PM