Power Query: Very Strange Performance Behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• Working on a new server at a client showing performance profile that I don't understand (on a mini test-db: 1st table 135 rows, 2nd 45 k rows):

Very slow dialogue when connecting. First load times with Power Pivot and Power Query > 90/120 sec.

Refresh with Power Pivot almost in an instance but Power Query remaining with these long initial load times.

No drag on ressources (CPU/RAM) on client nor server. Unfortunately no access to profiler at the moment.

(Direct load via Excel: Again very slow dialogue but quick data load 10 secs for 45 k rows)

Anyone any idea about this strange mixture?

Excel 2010, 32 bit, 2 GB RAM

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:01 PM

Answers

• The trace files might indicate how quickly the data source is responding, but I don't remember for sure. Regarding the Mashup.Container traces not being created: this happens if you do any evaluations before enabling tracing. Only containers created after turning on tracing currently record traces. This actually came up yesterday and we're working to change this behavior, so that any new evaluations (even if they use existing containers) will pick up a new tracing setting.

Ehren

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:12 PM

All replies

• Could you try using a tool like Fiddler to see what requests are being made to the data source, and how long they take to complete?

Ehren

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:17 PM
  • Hi Ehren,

thanks for your response - actually this morning queries run fast.

So it's probably a network issue. But still wondering why this would result in so different performance behaviour between the 3 ways.

(To install Fiddler would take quite a bureaucratic efford - so would PQ's trace files be able to tell me sth as well? - The "Mashup.Container...."-files are easily readable with PQ but are not being created for every trace - any chance to enforce this?)

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:50 AM
  • The trace files might indicate how quickly the data source is responding, but I don't remember for sure. Regarding the Mashup.Container traces not being created: this happens if you do any evaluations before enabling tracing. Only containers created after turning on tracing currently record traces. This actually came up yesterday and we're working to change this behavior, so that any new evaluations (even if they use existing containers) will pick up a new tracing setting.

Ehren

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:12 PM