Remove/Delete - App-V Package by Using the Command Line AND Clear specific Cache RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know to command line \ script to..

è 1.   Remove specific App-V package completely for all users?

My findings:

Please correct me, if these below commands are good enough?

SFTMIME UNPUBLISH PACKAGE:”name”

SFTMIME DELETE PACKAGE:”name”

è 2.  Remove complete cache for specific package? I need it for specific package?

My findings:

The below command is deleting for all applications.

Delete all the content from %appdata%\SoftGrid Client directory. 
              This clears the APPV user cache for all packages.

è 3.  Remove related registry for specific App-V package? Is below command good enough or still are there any entries to be cleared?

My findings:  

To remove registry for specific package.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid
                                    \4.5\Client\ Applications.

è 4.  And also. Would like a comment or finding solution on 9 point.

1. Remove all applications from the cache:

sftmime.exe remove obj:app /global /complete [ it is deleting all applications ]

9. Remove a specific application from the cache:

sftmime.exe remove app:”applicationName” /complete

[ this is not working for single application removal ]

Thanks in advance,

Hope I can get responses to give final solution on my 4 points.

• Edited by Sourav99 Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:33 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi

(partially summarizing Nicke's remarks)

0: You shouldn't delete registry values or files manually. You should use the 'official' App-V commands. Otherwise you may end up in a situation where you can't add a package again (that you delete manually before) because some orphaned values are still there.

1: As Nicke wrote: add the /GLOBAL parameter and run it as an administrator

2: If you mean the global (machine wide) cache: No, there is no real way to reclaim the space consumed in the App-V Cache file (sftfs.fsd): even if you deleted all packages, the sftfs.fsd file will still have the same size. You could reset that, but then you'd need to re-stream the packages. However the App-V client marks the space inside sftfs.fsd as reusable for other packages.

If you mean to empty the user's cache (or user delta), SFTMIME REPAIR is the best way to do it. In this case you exceptional also could delete the .PKG file in the right Folder under %APPDATA%, however it is usually harder to determine the right Folder compared to using SFTMIME REPAIR.

3: Shouldn't be necessary: SFTMIME DELETE ... /GLOBAL should remove the values from both, the Applications and the Pacakges key in the Registry

4: Again, there is a difference between global cache and user cache. But anyway the method would be to retreive al packages (SFTMIME QUERY OBJ:PACKAGE) and then pass that output to SFTMIME DELETE or SFTMIME REPAIR

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sourav99 Friday, August 30, 2013 11:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:21 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Well, this depends...

1. An application can be published per-user och per-computer.

/global means its per-computer and will completely remove it in that context

You would need to remove it for each user that have had it published, and the commands would need to be executed in the context of that user to be successfull

2. Most likely you will leave settings (located within a PKG-file) within the User Data Directory and / or Global Data Directory

If executing the commands in the user context, you could run a repair command (don't remember if that exist or not..) to remove the PKG-files from the users-profile.

Not sure if a remove (/DELETE) will remove any PKG-files from the Global Data Directory
    Worst case you would need to traverse it, locate the specific folder for the package and delete its contents.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:13 PM
  • where do we locate the specific folder for the package ?

by the way i need brief comments on 2 & 4 points.

and also can please confirm 1 & 3 points are good enough for specific / particular package to remove related content and registry.

• Edited by Sourav99 Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:32 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:31 PM
  • Hello,

As a response to your 2nd question;

2. Most likely you will leave settings (located within a PKG-file) within the User Data Directory and / or Global Data Directory

If executing the commands in the user context, you could run a repair command (don't remember if that exist or not..) to remove the PKG-files from the users-profile.

Not sure if a remove (/DELETE) will remove any PKG-files from the Global Data Directory
    Worst case you would need to traverse it, locate the specific folder for the package and delete its contents.

See this article on how App-V uses your system drive;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2009/03/26/how-app-v-uses-your-system-drive.aspx

Bullet 9 seems off. Have you read the documentation?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc817090.aspx

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Hi Nicke,

Thank you for your response,  the article links given by you are quite understandable.

lastly, kindly let me know

to delete specific registry for the particular package. this i have noted at 3rd point.

Could you comment on it and if possible please provide any article link especially on 3rd point ?

• Edited by Sourav99 Friday, August 9, 2013 9:08 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Hello,

I don't know about that one - you would need to investigate on your own

Friday, August 9, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Hi Nicke,

Thanks,  I did investigation on that, so that i concluded my findings.

to understand in-depth on this topic, i would wait for others response.

• Edited by Sourav99 Friday, August 9, 2013 9:33 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Hi

(partially summarizing Nicke's remarks)

0: You shouldn't delete registry values or files manually. You should use the 'official' App-V commands. Otherwise you may end up in a situation where you can't add a package again (that you delete manually before) because some orphaned values are still there.

1: As Nicke wrote: add the /GLOBAL parameter and run it as an administrator

2: If you mean the global (machine wide) cache: No, there is no real way to reclaim the space consumed in the App-V Cache file (sftfs.fsd): even if you deleted all packages, the sftfs.fsd file will still have the same size. You could reset that, but then you'd need to re-stream the packages. However the App-V client marks the space inside sftfs.fsd as reusable for other packages.

If you mean to empty the user's cache (or user delta), SFTMIME REPAIR is the best way to do it. In this case you exceptional also could delete the .PKG file in the right Folder under %APPDATA%, however it is usually harder to determine the right Folder compared to using SFTMIME REPAIR.

3: Shouldn't be necessary: SFTMIME DELETE ... /GLOBAL should remove the values from both, the Applications and the Pacakges key in the Registry

4: Again, there is a difference between global cache and user cache. But anyway the method would be to retreive al packages (SFTMIME QUERY OBJ:PACKAGE) and then pass that output to SFTMIME DELETE or SFTMIME REPAIR

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sourav99 Friday, August 30, 2013 11:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:21 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:07 PM