formating a view RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to format a view within a list as such? Right now my records are duplicating however, I don't want them to, and grouping only works with 1 or 2 columns. Can I add a content editor or something with some code to achieve what i'm trying to do?

sum=.70
    Record id    	resource name		project name		manager			Jan hours
    1		Smith			IT			Jones			.2
    1		Smith			IT			Jones			.15	
    1		Smith			IT			Jones			.10
    1		Smith			IT			Jones			.10
    1		Smith			IT			Jones			.15

is there a way to show the items in one line with a the sum of the jan hours such as

Record id      	resource name		project name		manager			Jan hours
    1		Smith			IT			Jones			.70
    								Smarts			.10		
    								Stewart			.70

I can't use SP Designer, so is there a way to accomplish this format using another method?
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:57 PM

Answers

• SharePoint by default doesn't provide method to calculate the duplicated item column value, the common method for this issue is to create custom data view web part using programming, to regenerate the list items, do calculation, then display it in a view control.

Or you may also consider using SharePoint Designer to create the data view web part, modify the view using grouping and xslt format, the following article shows a sample about display distinct rows in a data view web part:
    http://sharepointthinking.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/how-to-show-uniquedistinct-values-in-a-data-view-web-part/

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:41 AM

All replies

• Out of the box, there isn't a way to create a filter to remove duplicate items very easily, if at all.  You could try grouping on the Resource Name and seeing if that makes things more usable?

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:39 AM
    Answerer
  • I tried that and the OOTB grouping is terrbile, its not very user friendly or appealing to the eye
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:56 PM
  • SharePoint by default doesn't provide method to calculate the duplicated item column value, the common method for this issue is to create custom data view web part using programming, to regenerate the list items, do calculation, then display it in a view control.

Or you may also consider using SharePoint Designer to create the data view web part, modify the view using grouping and xslt format, the following article shows a sample about display distinct rows in a data view web part:
    http://sharepointthinking.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/how-to-show-uniquedistinct-values-in-a-data-view-web-part/

Thanks,

Qiao Wei
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:41 AM