none
MAP - How to assess for a certain application only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use the MAP tool to see what versions of Office I have out there, but it seems to audit about 1 million other products including Office. 

How can I delete all my current data, and start a new one which will only give me the Office apps info?  We are running a large flava of Office, ranging from 97-2010, standard, pro and SBE.

Regards

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:28 PM

All replies

• Take a look at the "Microsoft Office 2010 Assessment" report and see if that meets your needs. Thanks, Jay
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Thanks Jay, that produced the report.  However I scanned the site twice, because some machines were switched off since it was over the Xmas holidays, and now it seems that I have like duplicates of quite a few machines, because I ran the audit again.  There is no facility within the tool to delete these duplicate machines :(

Also, I am also getting quite a lot of failed errors such as:-

Host Unreachable, Connection refused, Other reasons, Access denied, Machine not found, Connection time out, Inventory not completed

However if I try hitting these machines with the older MSIA tool, it scans several that this new MAP tool doesnt :(

I dont want to spend time using two different tools to do a simple MS software audit :(

Regards

TK

Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:42 PM
  • If you get a successful inventory of the remote machines, the duplicates will resolve themselves once the tool is able to get inventory data to determine the two (or more) machines are in fact the same computer.

I suspect that the duplicates you're seeing are caused by names being discovered or entered into the tool in two different formats (for example, once with hostname only and once with fully qualified domain name).  Because the same hostname can exist in two different domains, MAP doesn't assume two computers with the same hostname are the same computer, and will wait until it actually inventories the computer to determine that it's the same one.

Is this a WAN environment with slow links?  It sounds like you're getting lots of timeouts during inventory that are causing the various errors.....

Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:20 PM