none
Internet DHCP DNS Routing Issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my current setup:
    A server running Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition with two network adapters, 10 office computers, 1 switch. I have our T1 line with a static IP coming into 1 network card on the server, and then I have the other network card plugged into the switch as are all 10 workstations.

I've configured DHCP on the server for the second network card, and it does issue out IP addresses and all the workstations can browse the shared folders I have setup on the server, but they can not browse the Internet. The server can, I'm just not sure exactly how I have to it up? Do I have to setup a DNS role? or a Routing and Remote Management role? Or NAT? If so how?

Server network adapter 1 (where x is are real numbers):
    IP: 74.x.x.14
    Submnet: 255.255.248
    Gateway: 74.x.x.13
    DNS 1: 64.x.x.17
    DNS 2: 64.x.x.18

Server Network Adapter 2:
    IP: 192.168.16.2 (i set this in there as static)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: blank
    DNS 1: 64.x.x.17
    DNS 2: 64.x.x.18

I setup the DHCP server to give IPs ranging from: 192.168.16.10-192.168.16.254, and that works fine..

But I still cant browse the internet on any computer besides the server. Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated as this is a bit urgent :)
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

your network is not built that optimal. Is the server also Domain controller? Do you have a router where you can connect the T1 line to?

Your clients can't access the internet because they don't know a gateway to it and also the DNS servers are not reachable for them. Also your own server should never be connected to the internet directly, you will open it for attackers really easy.

Use the private ip range 192.168.16.x on the server and the clients and connect the T1 to a routers external port and the routers internal port to the switch aslo with a 192.168.16.x address. That way the clients have the default gateway and the router does the NAT from internal to external ip range.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Hay [MSFT] Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:28 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:58 PM