Internet connection sharing problem? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a laptop and a pc,my network provider allow an ip address for laptop only.But i want to connect my pc also on the connection given to me so i baught TP-Link tl-sf1005d 5 port switch now how i connect my pc and laptop so that both of these work and share a single connection provided to me.I have no much knowledge of networking so plz kindly give me a good suggestion and solution for that problem..
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:43 PM


  • I suspect that you have purchased the wrong kind of switch to make this happen.  You need more than an switch.  You need a router.  A router will handle local IP address assignments using DHCP for the sake of your PC and Laptop, and allow the routing of traffic between the public and private ip networks.

    From TP-Link, you would either want this one: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=228&model=TL-R402M

    or this one: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=228&model=TL-R460

    The TL-402M would probably be sufficient for your needs.  Those products will have simple instructions on how to configure the sharing of Internet access.


    Kevin Remde US DPE - IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde http://twitter.com/kevinremde
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, December 5, 2011 12:38 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 12:38 PM