none
Shared and Exclusive access to a resource. RRS feed

• Question

• What am I missing here.

How can I allow some tasks shared access to a resource while other taks have exclusive access to that same resource?

For example. It's ok for both the electrician and the plumber to work on the house together but the painters must have it to themselves. I have the house setup as a resource assigned to all tasks. The painter work 6am to 6pm and I want the electrician and the plumber to fit in around the painters. the electrician and the plumber are available 24hrs.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Strat50,

I'm not sure you're missing anything.  I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish to setting the house up as a resource -- I'm guessing you were hoping to use the Resource Leveling command?  I'm not sure I'd take that approach but let me give you a few pointers that may help.

I'd add the following three fields to a task view:

• Priority
    • Level Assignments
    • Leveling Can Split

If you do not want the painting job moved through resource leveling -- set the priority of the task to 1000 (or do not level). 

You do not want to allow leveling to adjust assignments on the painting task -- so ensure that option is set to No. (The house cannot be painted without painters)

You also want to ensure the painting task cannot be split, so Leveling Can Split should also be set to No.

You are still going to have to watch carefully what the resource leveling command does -- but if you allow the tasks with the electricians and plumbers to split -- it may get you close.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Strat50 Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:20 PM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Hello Steve,

One of the challenges with Project is that resources (such as the house and the painters) will be scheduled based their calendar.  So, if the house has a 24 hours calendar and the painters only have a 12 hour calendar, even without leveling, you'll see the house "working" when the resource's aren't.

I'm glad you found a work around by using the task calendar.

You're welcome for the advice and thanks for the feedback.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Strat50 Monday, April 2, 2012 9:51 AM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Strat50,

I'm not sure you're missing anything.  I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish to setting the house up as a resource -- I'm guessing you were hoping to use the Resource Leveling command?  I'm not sure I'd take that approach but let me give you a few pointers that may help.

I'd add the following three fields to a task view:

• Priority
    • Level Assignments
    • Leveling Can Split

If you do not want the painting job moved through resource leveling -- set the priority of the task to 1000 (or do not level). 

You do not want to allow leveling to adjust assignments on the painting task -- so ensure that option is set to No. (The house cannot be painted without painters)

You also want to ensure the painting task cannot be split, so Leveling Can Split should also be set to No.

You are still going to have to watch carefully what the resource leveling command does -- but if you allow the tasks with the electricians and plumbers to split -- it may get you close.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Strat50 Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:20 PM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Hi Julie.

Thanks for the suggestion which works well.

The idea of setting up the house as a resource was that levelling would see it assigned to the high priority painting job and therefore schedule the lower priority electrcial and plumbing jobs around it, which it does.  

The only issue I found using your suggestion was that even with the painting task level assignments set to NO, the house resource would do its work on the task while painters were not there.

House -     3h 6h 6h 6h 3h 0h 0h = 24 hrs work over 24 hrs      (6 hr time slots) Resource calendar is 24 hrs/day
    Painters -  3h 6h 3h 0h 3h 6h 3h = 24 hrs work over 36 hrs      (6 hr time slots) Resource calendar is 12 hrs/day

This allowed the electricians to start work once the house had done it's 24 hrs work, but the Painters were sill there.

I fixed this by assigning the painters calendar to the painting task but without checking ' scheduling ignores resource calendars' and the levelling is perfect. The house now only works while the painters are there.

I feel that 'Level Assigments = No' should have prevented this. Maybe I'm miss understanding the effect of this setting? Perhaps you can clarify this for me.

Anyhow I have a solution so thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Steve

Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Hello Steve,

One of the challenges with Project is that resources (such as the house and the painters) will be scheduled based their calendar.  So, if the house has a 24 hours calendar and the painters only have a 12 hour calendar, even without leveling, you'll see the house "working" when the resource's aren't.

I'm glad you found a work around by using the task calendar.

You're welcome for the advice and thanks for the feedback.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Strat50 Monday, April 2, 2012 9:51 AM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:36 PM