Internet Explorer 10 on SBS2011??? RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer 10 is showing up as an Important Update on my 3x 2008 R2 servers, which includes our SBS2011.

If it's the same type of Bada Bing Browser that's included in Windows 8, it really worries me.

Some of the Apps that we use require special Java versions, etc.

Also, we use all of the SBS Sharepoint Options, like RDP, RWW, OWA, Companyweb, etc.

Is this all going to still function?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• It's not quite the same browser as win8 but I don't see that it's needed
    on a server.
    You don't browse there (at least not much).

Skip it for servers (IMO)

• Proposed as answer by IbanezWiz Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:47 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

I wouldn't update a browser on a server when it is just available. There were problems in the past with the Exchange Management console and the update to IE9.

I would suggest wait a couple of weeks or months and keep track of issues or first try it in a lab environment.

It's like Susan said you normally don't need to web browse on a server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:27 PM
  • I think suggesting to others not to patch is bad advice. You personally may not believe in doing it but in general an unpatched SBS will eventually be vulnerable to some attack.

Steve

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:32 PM
  • One can be selective.  This is not a critical update to a server where one doesn't surf.

Even on workstations it should be deployed only after review and testing.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I quit updated my SBS 2011 server all together.

Microsoft screws to many things up. You never know what you are getting.

If it's working, then why break it?

Have you informed your customer(s) on this, because updates are there for several reasons. Bugfixes, security issues, etc.

If you do not patch your server regular it will become a pottential security risk and vulnerable for hackers, viruses and spyware can come through easy and infect your server or network. Which could bring your server / network blacklisted, with all trouble that comes with it.

Second thing is If you do not update your server it is not being supported anymore by Microsoft everytime a new service pack is released the support on the previous version will remain only 12 till 24 months.

For SBS 2011 this means, Exchange 2010 SP1 the support ended january 8 2013 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (no SP) will end april 9 2013.

By the way, we ran several SBS 2011 (and 2008 and 2003) servers and have never had any break down by updates or patches you only need to keep track of alle information that is released just after a new patch is released and better test and deploy them controlled to your servers.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:48 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:17 AM

All replies

• It's not quite the same browser as win8 but I don't see that it's needed
    on a server.
    You don't browse there (at least not much).

Skip it for servers (IMO)

• Proposed as answer by IbanezWiz Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:25 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

I wouldn't update a browser on a server when it is just available. There were problems in the past with the Exchange Management console and the update to IE9.

I would suggest wait a couple of weeks or months and keep track of issues or first try it in a lab environment.

It's like Susan said you normally don't need to web browse on a server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:27 PM

• Edited by IbanezWiz Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:43 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:44 PM
  • I think suggesting to others not to patch is bad advice. You personally may not believe in doing it but in general an unpatched SBS will eventually be vulnerable to some attack.

Steve

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:32 PM
  • One can be selective.  This is not a critical update to a server where one doesn't surf.

Even on workstations it should be deployed only after review and testing.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:34 PM

Steve

Well thank you for the advice. I do believe I used the word "I".

I think Microsoft has a better track record in taking down servers.

It's probably the reason they abandon SBS.

• Edited by IbanezWiz Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:02 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:41 PM

Have you informed your customer(s) on this, because updates are there for several reasons. Bugfixes, security issues, etc.

If you do not patch your server regular it will become a pottential security risk and vulnerable for hackers, viruses and spyware can come through easy and infect your server or network. Which could bring your server / network blacklisted, with all trouble that comes with it.

Second thing is If you do not update your server it is not being supported anymore by Microsoft everytime a new service pack is released the support on the previous version will remain only 12 till 24 months.

For SBS 2011 this means, Exchange 2010 SP1 the support ended january 8 2013 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (no SP) will end april 9 2013.

By the way, we ran several SBS 2011 (and 2008 and 2003) servers and have never had any break down by updates or patches you only need to keep track of alle information that is released just after a new patch is released and better test and deploy them controlled to your servers.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:48 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Ronny thanks for confirming what I said to IbanezWiz in more detail. I hope he has good insurance when something does happen. Having a test SBS either physical or in a VM is something everyone who has clients should run so those patches can be applied to see if any problems are caused. Also Susan keeps on top of those patches and has info on her blog and in her patch watch section of Windows Secrets and elsewhere.

Steve

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Ronny thanks for confirming what I said to IbanezWiz in more detail. I hope he has good insurance when something does happen. Having a test SBS either physical or in a VM is something everyone who has clients should run so those patches can be applied to see if any problems are caused. Also Susan keeps on top of those patches and has info on her blog and in her patch watch section of Windows Secrets and elsewhere.

Steve

Thank you guys for your concerns and trying to sell me an insurance policy. I been doing this since the mid 80s. I have my clients covered.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Thanks for all of the responses. The updates were marked as important. Nowadays when you change the settings in IE you have to reboot your system instead of simply restarting the browser. Internet Explorer is becoming pretty much integrated in the operating system, more and more with each version, and will probably someday be required for specific OS tasks, like MMC or such. I don't like it either.

Since we do not browse on our servers, I'll take the advice and not install it, for now.

As I do not like leaving our servers un-patched with important, not optional updates, I would like to hear back from anyone who has tried installing it, see if they have encountered any issues. I would do so myself, if I had a Lab system or live backup running.

Again, Thank You, and have a Great Day!!!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:09 PM
  • It's only important in the eyes of Microsoft in terms of market share.

We do not browse on servers, thus it's not needed here.

YOU decide what is important on servers, not Microsoft.  Only YOU know your risk and surfing habits.  It's optional.  They've historically flagged browser updates as important but that doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:12 PM