Migrate virtual SCVMM server RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently looking at migrating a few virtual servers across to new Hyper-V hosts. One of these v-servers is currently the SCVMM server and before we attempt I wanted to know if it is even possible to use SCVMM to migrate the server running the SCVMM service...

I will be starting the job from an SCVMM console outside of the Hyper-V Hosts

Any advice\gotchas would be appreciated.

Friday, November 5, 2010 3:47 PM

Answers

• I am currently looking at migrating a few virtual servers across to new Hyper-V hosts. One of these v-servers is currently the SCVMM server and before we attempt I wanted to know if it is even possible to use SCVMM to migrate the server running the SCVMM service...

Do not recommend you to do that, Never migrate VMM server using VMM console. As Kristian said you cam live or qucik migrate your VMM virtual machine using MS failover cluster
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hi.

Are you planning to move your SCVMM VM from Hyper-V host A to Hyper-V host B ?

What kind of migration are you taking about ? Live Migration ? or an export/import ? If export/import, use this function in Hyper-V manager from your hyper-v host.

Kristian
    Friday, November 5, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

I was hoping to be able to live migrate as to save on as little down time as possible.

Thanks.

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Ok, so I`m guessing that you already have a Failover Cluster with the CSV feature enabled, which is the requirement for doing a Live Migration.

Try to Live Migrate your vm from the Failover Cluster Manager console.

Kristian
    Monday, November 8, 2010 12:04 PM

Do not recommend you to do that, Never migrate VMM server using VMM console. As Kristian said you cam live or qucik migrate your VMM virtual machine using MS failover cluster
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Why not migrate using the SC-VMM Migrate function?  It seems to work fine and gives you a nice little wizard to select your host, target path on the host, etc. and then does the export/bits-copy/import all for you. 

Why do you recommend against it? 
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Seems obvious you can't ask SCVMM to migrate itself, but with HA SCVMM Server, i think it would possible to migrate one of the nodes if you know it isn't the one currently running SCVMM service, right ?
    • Edited by Arthur OH Friday, July 27, 2012 1:01 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 12:59 PM