none
Force View to Break Page RRS feed

• Question

• When I print a Gantt Chart view, I want to have a forced page break at certain places -- most commonly every time there is a new summary at level 2, for example:

1.  Project

2. Procurement

3. Construction

4. Cleanup

So, I'd want to break a page at 2,3, and 4 above. How do I do that? Surely, this isn't a new idea...

Thanks, all.

Jim

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:45 AM

Answers

• Jim,

There might be a way in Project to do this; but I'm not aware.  Others an chip in. The way I do it is simply filter by by something with defines the "page" and then print.  I put that in a small macro that loops through the different filter settings, printing part as a separate print--which means starts on a new page each time. Over the life of the project that little macro (with a corresponding button on the tool bar) often gets larger as it is what is used to batch print everything. At that point becomes very useful.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Marked as answer by JimS-Indy Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:07 AM

All replies

• Jim,

There might be a way in Project to do this; but I'm not aware.  Others an chip in. The way I do it is simply filter by by something with defines the "page" and then print.  I put that in a small macro that loops through the different filter settings, printing part as a separate print--which means starts on a new page each time. Over the life of the project that little macro (with a corresponding button on the tool bar) often gets larger as it is what is used to batch print everything. At that point becomes very useful.

• Marked as answer by JimS-Indy Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Page Break option is not available by default, you need to insert it from the Customize Ribbon option. Try a right click on Task Tab, and select customize ribbon. At the top of the dialog, from the pick list, select Commands not in the ribbon You can now scroll down the list to find Insert Page Break.  It will appear in your menu ribbon once added, later you can apply Page Break by clicking on it at any desired place in the View.

Sapna S

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:45 AM
  • For earlier versions of Project Insert Page Break is available under the Insert menu.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Ah yes, now I remember why I never used that.  Sticking page breaks in then is something that gets in the way when we do filtering/grouping and the page breaks aren't were we want them.  Not using them easier than using them as it avoids the re-work of moving them

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Yeah I agree with Rob, sometimes managing page breaks after insert/delete/filter and Group by become difficult.

Sapna S

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Wow, I guess I'm not the first....

Much as I dislike Rob's idea, he's probably right that I'll end up needing to set up a routine like this anyway. I'm an expert vba programmer anyway, and I could just set up an Access database or XML document to control formatting and sequencing. Might be a fun project for one of my "Beijing Nights"....

A second unrelated question comes to mind. Why does MSP have to continually renumber the tasks? I know there's a "UniqueID" property -- I've used it in the past. Constantly renumbering the project is just annoying to me. I run through, setting a dozen disparate tasks with a given pred or successor, but if I happen to add or delete a task in the process, I end up having to "relearn" the target task number. It's just very annoying. Task numbers should either be useful (in some way meaningful -- something I only advocate under controlled circumstances) or they should be random-like and permanent -- or at least semi-permanent.

//End of rant

Jim

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Use UniqueId instead:

activeproject.tasks.uniqueid(UIDnumber).id

You can also use Task.UniqueIDPredecessors

Can't have you wasting rants now! ;-)

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:59 AM
  • I do use UniqueID in vba for the most part. It's only in the UI I get annoyed with ID.... I didn't know about the Task.UniqueIDPredessors, though, thanks Rod.

Jim

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:12 AM