Deploy Project Pro 2010 on Windows 10 PCs with Office 365 ProPlus? RRS feed

• Question

• We are deploying Office 2016 Click-to-Run to all our workstations using normal installation methods via SCCM. However, we have a few users that need Project 2010 to connect to a Project 2010 server.

I heard that using APP-V may be a method to install them together on the same workstations.

We have Windows 10 Enterprise with SA, so we have APP-V licencing available, but nobody has ever used it.

How much is involved in setting up app-v from scratch for only a one or 2 applications for a handful of user exceptions that need Project 2010? 

The only alternative I see is setting up secondary workstations for these users just to run Project 2010.  

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:17 AM

Answers

• On win10 1607, and onwards the appvclient is part of the OS, just enable it with GPO/Powershell. IN case of Office, also set the appv GPO to enable "EnablePackageScripts".

App-V deployment methodes:

1) Use native App-V infra... this can be done with 1 server (install all roles in it)… depending on your environment you can start scaling and/or using separate servers for separate roles.
    2) Use Config Manager to deploy app-v apps, just like you do with all you other apps (msi/exe/script/appx)
    3) 3th party tooling, like App-V scheduler
    4) Custom scripting / Powershell.

As you already have config manager in place, I would use that option.

Roy Essers

• Marked as answer by Kalimanne Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:38 PM
  • AppV5 can be deployed full standalone, no infra needed. The SQL server(s) is only needed if you want to deploy through native infra.
    You only need to repackage project 2010 and create an App-V Package with the appv sequencer. If you're unfamiliar with repackaging/sequenceing and unable to follow the stept in the guideline on the link I posted, I would advice you to deploy the installer native to seperate machines as you suggested yourself.

Roy Essers

• Marked as answer by Kalimanne Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:25 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:01 AM

All replies

• I do not think 2010 and 2016 are fully supported to run side-by-side. 

If you create an App-V package for project by using the following guide you should be able to virtualize Project 2010. Just make sure to use the 2010 sequencing kit, and the 2010 deployment kit. Make also sure to use the right productflag PROJECTPRO=1. I would also suggest to virtualize the package isolated (and not to use any com integration, because that will break your 2016 version).

You can use Config Manager to deploy your App-V apps. 5.1 (and therefor also 5.2) is supported with Config Manager 2012 SP1CU4 or higher.

Roy Essers

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:08 PM
  • How much work is it to set up APP-V for the first time? 

When I glanced at documentation, it appeared to need a pretty large multi-server infrastructure that will not be worth it to us in a small environment where we may only consider virtualizing a few apps for a few users.  Maybe even only one app (Project 2010) for now.

If it takes too many hours to set up and maintain App-V, we will be better off spending a few hours setting up Project 2010 workstations for the users to log into when the need access to that software.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:52 PM
  • On win10 1607, and onwards the appvclient is part of the OS, just enable it with GPO/Powershell. IN case of Office, also set the appv GPO to enable "EnablePackageScripts".

1) Use native App-V infra... this can be done with 1 server (install all roles in it)… depending on your environment you can start scaling and/or using separate servers for separate roles.
    2) Use Config Manager to deploy app-v apps, just like you do with all you other apps (msi/exe/script/appx)

Roy Essers

• Marked as answer by Kalimanne Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Roy Essers

Deploying an already-created app-v package through SCCM doesn't look too difficult, but getting the steps done to get the infrastructure built that creates the package you import into SCCM looks like a major undertaking.

How does this compare to the amount of time and resources required to deploy apps as a RDS remote app?

Edit:  I just noticed this also requires full SQL server.  Which is a lot to ask if we are only going to use this for 1 or 2 apps.
    • Edited by Kalimanne Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:18 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:06 PM
  • AppV5 can be deployed full standalone, no infra needed. The SQL server(s) is only needed if you want to deploy through native infra.
    You only need to repackage project 2010 and create an App-V Package with the appv sequencer. If you're unfamiliar with repackaging/sequenceing and unable to follow the stept in the guideline on the link I posted, I would advice you to deploy the installer native to seperate machines as you suggested yourself.

Roy Essers

• Marked as answer by Kalimanne Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:25 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:01 AM
  • Does Project 2010 require App-V 5.0 to create a package or can I use the latest version?
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 7:50 PM
  • Is the accelerator for Windows 8 also compatible with Windows 10?  I only see options for Windows 7 and 8 on the page referred to.

The link refers to App-V 5.0, but you mention App-V 5.1 and 5.2.

Does packaging Project 2010 for Windows 10 and deploying with Config Manager 1710 all work together for this?

Thursday, April 5, 2018 5:49 AM
  • I don't think it will be a problem to use the latest version. And also if you have any doubt, open package editor and select all OS instead of win 7 & 8

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 5, 2018 11:38 AM
  • Unless it recently changed, Microsoft stance on mixing Office versions is that it is not recommended.  Also not supported, unless one or more of the versions are virtualized under App-V in which case support is provided.

As with all Microsoft support, as we say in the US, "your mileage may vary".

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:51 PM
  • It should be as good for Windows 10 as it is for Windows 8. Same goes for the client version.  If it works in 5.0 it should be fine in 5.1 and 5.2.

In reality accelerators never really took off.

As for Config Manager, yes.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:53 PM