none
Windows 10 Without Internet Connection

Question

• Looking for some type of answer here as I have not been able to find it anywhere else.

I regularly provide specialized installations for secure sites. The PCs and Servers are setup, brought to the latest update and tested before going onsite. Once they are onsite, they can never be connected to an outside network again. Totally air-gapped. They actually never leave the site, they are destroyed (shredded) onsite. Any updates to software have to be approved by the appropriate customer then brought into the site on CD or DVD. USB drives are not allowed in any form or fashion. Updates are usually brought in every 1 to 2 years, minimum.

Currently being tasked to develop a hardware - software migration plan for 9 PCs at a remote site. Specifications call for Windows 10 OS. I have briefly played with Win 10 by building a virtual machine using the OS so I don't claim to have any intimate knowledge of the OS.

My question is how will Windows 10 behave in this environment when it cannot "phone home", ever?

There are no IT personnel at these sites and with the redundancy in systems we install, must have 100% uptime.

Please don't suggest I go to Linux, the software these boxes must run, will not run on Linux even though I wish it would.

All thoughts, comments and ideas are more than appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:14 AM

All replies

• Windows 10 should function normally being totally offline - as long as the image is built to include all software and dependencies before hand, I'm stressing this for the dependencies as Windows 10 generally goes to Windows Update to get .NET Framework and a host of other features, although it can be configured to get them locally too. Also you'll need a MAK key for activation.

I might suggest going with Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) given what you've said, it seems to be what LTSB was created for. LTSB doesn't include any consumer features including things like the built-in UWP apps. Here's more information on LTSB and the Windows as a service: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/update/waas-overview?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I'm not going to pretend to understand your situation but hopefully this helps. 

Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:41 AM