Vista Home Premium 32-bit won't restore to Restore Point RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a new machine which came with Vista.  Before I started adding stuff to it, or moving my files to it, I wanted to make certain that the Restore feature would work - just in case...   I've done a number of tests today, and it looks like I can create a Restore Point, and it will look like I can do a Restore, but it never actually restores to the previous point.  For instance, if I set a Restore Point, then add test files to the Program Files directory, then go back to the Restore Point, the files are still there.  Same thing when I delete files and then do a Restore.  I don't get any error messages, just the "in progress" messages like "initializing, changing registry, deleting temp files, shutting down, etc."    I don't get any "success" message either, like it appears I'm supposed to.    I also shut down all the Symantec Norton stuff and tested it that way, since I'd found on a websearch that it could be a problem.

Is there anything else I should be doing to make this work?  With the exception of adding another user account, and changing the background picture, it's virtually a vanilla out-of-the box system (HP A6142nb), so it seems like it should work. 

Any advice would be appreciated.  I've searched web forums until I'm bleary-eyed and I'm getting quite frustrated, as I don't want to go forward on my set-ups on the new machine until I know this feature will actually work.   Thank you!!!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:48 AM

Answers

• Hi EmmaMmm,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. However, System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mails, documents, or photos. so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

If you would like to check if System Restore works on your system, please install a program and then restore the system. If the program disappears, it indicates System Restore is working properly.

For more information about System Restore, please refer to the following site:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f01033.mspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi EmmaMmm,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. However, System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mails, documents, or photos. so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

If you would like to check if System Restore works on your system, please install a program and then restore the system. If the program disappears, it indicates System Restore is working properly.

For more information about System Restore, please refer to the following site:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f01033.mspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:12 AM
  • I have a similar problem, where Vista Home Premium will not restore to a restore point, but I get an error message telling me that it was unsuccessful.  It does not matter if it is a restore point I created or an automatic restore point.  It will not restore.  Any ideas?  I've been in situations where, due to a bad software install for example, using the System Restore would have been a lifesaver (or at least a huge time and frustration saver), but I have never been able to get it to work.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue would be tremendously appreciated.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Ditto the above.

Don't know when it went wrong, as I've not tried to do a system restore for ages.

After a year of using Vista, XP Pro looks more and more like a good upgrade ........

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

I have tried restoring from restore points set by the system and myself, after changing files and installing new programs, and always get the error message "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore". This is very annoying, also considering that, if I want to contact Microsoft Techical Service directly, I have to pay for their services. I have read that a Vista Service Pack 1 is becoming available through Windows Update by mid-April 2008. Perhaps this will address the problem?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

I tried everything and still get the error message saying that no changes were made, as an unspecified error occurred during System Restore.

I read somewhere that, before installing Vista SP1, I should create a Restore Point.

Isn't ironical that Microsoft make Vista Service Pack 1 available to Vista Users and advise them to create a Restore Point when a Restore Point cannot be created?

Your comments as a Microsoft Executive would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Things went from bad to worse - more and more things stopped working properly ....

So I bought an external hard drive, copied all the files over and then re-installed Vista from scratch - what a jolly Saturday!

I have not tried doing a restore yet - I'll wait until after SP1.

Meanwhile though, all the other "system" problems have gone away (like not being able to set printers to "shared") and everything is running much quicker.

I noticed elswhere that there is now an official Microsoft registry cleaner for Vista. Had I known about this earlier, I would have tried it before doing the re-install.

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  

I too just experienced this:

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        System Restore
    Date:          4/17/2008 9:29:58 PM
    Event ID:      8209

What is going on here?

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I also get this error

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore

I have tried restoring from several different restore points, checkpoints, actual updates, and manually created and get the error from all of them.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:53 AM
  • HAS ANYBODY FOUND A RESOLVE TO THIS ISSUE YET?

System restore did not complete successfully due to an unspecified error during system restore.

ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!! Sad

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:20 AM
  • Bought a Sony VIAO VGN-FZ260e in December, came with Vista Home Premium and blu-ray capability.  have restored this darn thing 4 times, gets to installing the "required" fixes and patches and somewere in there the sound is lost with the blu-ray player, tried every trick, fix, (was thinking about standing on my head with one foot out the window) but none of them have work.  Last rebuild I made sure everything was working and then created a restore point.  Of course as the update/patches/fixes were being installed, the sound failed again.  No problem have a restore point.  WRONG!!!! get the same error as above.  Not just with my  restore, but even with every automatic restore point the windows created when it installed the updates.  Is anyone at Microsoft even looking at this.  I am relatively sure we dont all own the same systems.  sound like the common denominator is "VISTA HOME PREMIUM"  getting the hint MS?????

Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:44 PM
  • I have the same problem ("system restore did not complete successfully" "An unspecified error occurred") with Vista Ultimate. Here are the details...Dell XPS M1530. Wiped the HDD clean. Install Vista from Reinstallation DVD on 50GB C: partition...no other partitions yet. Started installing my applications. Manually created a restore point before installing each new application. I had just successfully installed Quicken 2006 and updated it to the latest release. I tried to manually create a restore point before installing my next program...Windows started creating the restore point, but never finished...I had to power off manually and reboot (or did I just kill it with task manager...not sure). Tried again, and it worked. Installed AutoIT. Made restore point. Installed WordWeb. Decided to restore to point before WordWeb...restore failed. Tried again...failed. Created test restore point and tried to restore...failed. At some point in this process I lost all of the restore points that were made before installing AutoIT. Ran system restore from Vista DVD and successfully restored to point before installing WordWeb. All the previous restore points are still gone. I am running Zone Alarm Security Suite...but I don't think it is responsible for my problem.

Monday, May 5, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Hi, IS ANYONE FROM MS READING THESE , OR ARE YOU WAITING TO  MAKE MORE MONEY OUT OF US WHEN WE CONTACT YOU.................

Same problem as everyone else, an unspesified error occured during system restore.

At the top of the page the box that says thread information states STATUS; ANSWERED. Am i missing something here or just going completly mad.

Someone help please!!!!!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Try using Safe Mode.

Also, do you have Norton? This may stop system restore from running.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:53 PM
  •  

I've tried sutting down norton, but still had no joy... I'll try safe mode and see if I have any luck with that.

thanks Burr.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:24 PM
  • A big THANKS to you BurrWalnut safe mode is the one. Finally after two days I've sorted it out..yessss

If anyone else is having this problem safe mode is the way to go..........

click start

in the search box type in  msconfig

the"system config" window opens

select "boot"

check the safe boot

restart

now in safe mode do system restore as normal

restart

then go back to msconfig and uncheck safe boot and restart, done...

I know it is a long way round but it worked for me. You would have thought that MS could have sorted out an update by now seeing as so many people are having this problem.

You can also check out http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/     These people have all the answers not like MS who answered the first question here wrong and have not been back to this thread since  bloody useless- excuse my french..

Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Same problem here,

Last night I tried to go to an eary restore piont and got a message that there was a damage to my C disk.

I did a C disk repaired it in de save modus and fixed the problem. After that I kept on getting the message after trying to restore to an earlyer point that the system could not restore everything to that piont. Although it looks like if it restores, because the programs from that point are back etc. I've made a new restore point and installed and removed programe.

Even if I keep getting the message: could not restore system, the progams are gone or are back again.

So what the #$%%&##$$!!! is happening?

Also the windows updat says taht ther is an update. If I try to install it I'll keep getting a message that it wasn;t succesfull, please try again. (after 10 times I gave up hope.............

I find Vista an unstable system. Maybe we've to get back to XP.......

In the mean time, Microft keeps on sleeping and while sleeping they'll get richer and richer and more and more users are getting frustrated. I'll think we have to wait for SP2 or 3.

So maybe some has fixed the problem him/ her self and can help us.

I think I have to do a clean install again.

Bye Renny

Sunday, July 13, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Thats too bad, XP restore worked great and this is what we get with Vista, and this is better!!!!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:32 PM
  • i have simliar problem. the computer is stuck in the screen that said "Please wai while your Windows files and settings are being restored, System Restore is restoring the registry" for more than an hour.  And I have the Vista Home Premium 32bit version.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:25 PM
  •  

Hi Tim,

I have to tell you that I have never been able to get system restore to work on any Microsoft OS product it has been on.  For what ever reason, I guess I tried to open too many word documents the other day.  I have mail merge synced with documents for my business so I can link to Outlook 2007 to insert address information.  Well the other day when I had one doc opening I opened another one and it would seem that it messed up the directory information to access Outlook address info.  I tried to have Office repair files to no avail, so thought maybe I could use system restore to take me back beyond the point where this had happened.  Low and behold I get the infamous error that it couldn't change files bla, bla bla, so I got to wondering if anyone else had ever gotten this thing to work? 

Everywhere I've gone groupwise and what not has said the same thing I'm peddling now, it don't work!  Like EmmaMmm said I'm able to create restore points, but I even tried besides that to use one's created by the OS itself and in fact is where I started and tried different restore points to see what it would do with the same results.  I wish I could remember times when I've tried to get this to work in XP when I was still running that, this is a Vista Ultimate system by the way.  I just don't understand with the many times I've had what I am sure are small problems why this feature has never worked for me.  What can you tell me based on what I've been able to tell you?  Thanks

Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:00 PM
  • It is too bad that they use people like Tim Quan to respond to our problems.  I do not know if he is English challenged, but it appears he is clueless.  On top of his cluelesness...it is April 2, 2011.  I am here because I am having the same problem.  And the shitstains at Windows, still do not have a fix?

There is a special place in Hell, reserved for Bill Gates.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Hey Tim, over three years later, and now do you think that you can read the question properly, and answer it correctly?

I keep getting a message that an unspecified error occurred during system restore.  I have changed the restore point, but still get the message.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:36 PM