Word won't print to tray 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Using Word 2010, I can't print to Tray 2 of my two-two printer, even when I go to print-printer-printer properties-paper source and select tray 2.  It does work in Outlook or Wordpad.  I use my second tray for letterhead, with the first tray for regular paper.  That was the main reason I bought a two-tray printer.  The printer is a Lexmark Platinum Pro 905.  I have one desktop running Windows 7 and one running Windows XP and the result is the same on both computers.  Is there a solution?
    Friday, May 20, 2011 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi San,

Can you printer from notepad to Tray 2?

If still not, this issue is not related to Office applications, and try to reinstall the printer driver.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:13 AM

All replies

• Hi San,

Can you printer from notepad to Tray 2?

If still not, this issue is not related to Office applications, and try to reinstall the printer driver.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:13 AM
  • My bet will be that the person can print from notepad, as this is a very common issue within the page setup on 2003 office, where it will override your desired tray.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hey,

I have the same problem. Spoke with the helpdesk op Lexmark NL. Printing from tray 2 is not possible in Office 2010 (Word and Excel). When printing from notepad or printing a PDF there is no problem. It's absolutely due to Office 2010. I'm very pissed off with Microsoft. I have a wonderfull printer with the choise for printing on letterhead and plain paper. Now I made costs to buy a lousy program that doesn't work with my printer. Anybody a suggtion for a solution???

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi tray 2 does work, however Office 2010 paper setup overrides the printer settings and automatic does not work.  If you want to print from tray 2, go to the print menu and at the bottom select paper setup, select the paper tab and choose your tray for page 1 and tray for every other page, then print and it will work
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:16 AM
  • That doesn't work for me. Some files will print to tray 2 and some refuse. I've tried everything. This is ridiculous Microsoft!
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:10 AM
  • We work with a lot of law firms and they run into this problem quite a lot. There can be a few different causes but as a previous poster wrote if the printer is setup to default settings then clicking the page_setup link and choosing trays for first page and ohter pages usually does work.

Fortunately, we found a third party product called "Tray Selector" www.trayselector.com which solves this and many other problems when printing from Microsoft Word to a multi-tray printer. I'd recommend users who are having problems take a look at this because it allows you to set up printing in a particular way and store that under a single click button. 

Another cause can be because you printer and/or printer driver is setup to direct certain paper types to particular paper trays/draws. So for example it is setup to print all A4 to tray 1 and in some circumstances it doesn't matter if you tell Word to send A4 jobs to tray 2 it will just override this and think that A4 paper types should always go to tray 1. 

I hope that is some help.

Tim Kempster

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 11:38 AM
  • try a thirdparty application like Print&Share.

some tutorial videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iXuU4b5mh4&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5sndsWr6I 

Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:36 AM