Auto Attendant Transfer to Extension - To an outside phone number? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're using Exchange 2013 CU6 and I'm wondering how we can use the Key mapping of the Auto attendants to transfer to an outside number?  If I type anything more than 4 digits (our extension size), it doesn't allow me to save the key mapping and throws a warning that it has to be 4 digits.  I'm sure it's something simple, but I must be searching the Internet with the wrong search terms...

Please Advise.

Rory Schmitz

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Rory,

please read this for more info:

http://windowspbx.blogspot.no/2013/04/how-to-achieve-dial-by-extension-with.html

and here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997471(v=exchg.150).aspxDoes transfer/forwarding to outside numbers work in general?This could also been blocked on your Lync server

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:43 PM
  • I'm not sure what your PBX solution is, but you're correct that you can't just enter a full number into your AA key mappings easily.  I typically as a workaround configure an extension on the PBX that forwards to the external number, perhaps an off hours answering service, and have Exchange transfer to that special extension.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you both for the replies.  I should have mentioned with Telephony system we were using in the initial question.  It's Cisco UC Manager 10.5 as our primary and we have a few of us in IT testing the Enterprise Voice capabilities of Lync 2013.  All of the infrastructure is in place and set up for Lync so I should probably test the capabilities of that as well.

@Off2wrok, Thank you for the articles.  I will review them more this evening and into tomorrow.  I did come across that TechNet Article earlier today.  I haven't tried the forwarding on our Lync Server as we don't have an Auto Attendants on the Lync Dial plan.  Everything as it stands now is going through the Cisco system and Exchange for UM.

@Anthony, Spot on.  We've been using 'fake' extensions in our AA's and then setting up the forward within CUCM.  I thought there may be a better way around this.  I remember we could add the full 7-10 digits in the Exchange 2010 AA Key mappings and it worked fine.  That may have changed later in 2010 (sp2/sp3?).  It seems like every update or CU that the Exchange team comes out with, screws up what we have set in our AA's.  We used to have the prefixing 9 to get an outside tone, then the next update it broke that, etc.  It's not very consistent.

If using the work around with the internal extension to forward outbound is the best method of accomplishing this, then we'll just stick with that.  It seems like unnecessary work for something that should be built in.

I appreciate the responses.  I will leave this thread open for a few days in case something develops.

Thanks again.

Rory Schmitz

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:29 PM