NIC Driver Problem in WDS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am having an issue with re-imaging Dell Optiplex 745's. When I boot into the PE image and click on "Run Deployment Wizard", I get the message:

"A connection to the deployment share could not be made. The following device did not have a driver installed. PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_167A&SUBSYS_01DA1028&REV_02."

Retry or Cancel.

After much headache over the past two days, I discovered this is the NIC which is a Broadcom 5754. I have tried injecting the driver (new and older versions) into the PE image in WDS but that doesn't seem to fix it. The driver is b57nd60a.inf. The older driver I used (14.6.1.0) was previously used when imaging the machines. I have used the x64 Windows 7 version. Should I be using a different version for the PE image? I do not get an IP address in the PE so I know the driver is not correct or loading properly.

The Out-of-box drivers in the Deployment Workbench have nothing to do with the PE image, correct? They are just used when imaging the computers, right?

The previous network administrator has imaged all of these models before so it had to of worked at some point.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

• The problem in this case is that the standard Broadcom driver is incompatible with WInPE, due to the fact that it uses a multi-level PNP Bus design, and that WinPE does not support multi-level device detection for custom device classes.

The solution for Broadcom devices is to use the "RIS" class of drivers for WinPE.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:09 PM

All replies

• The Out-Of-Box drivers node has everything to do with drivers for the WinPE boot image. By default it will inject all storage class abd network class driver it finds into the boot image.

What you should do however, is limit the amount of drivers being added to the boot image. For example, the workbench will happily inject wireless drivers by default to the boot image because it's a network class driver.

Check the "Drivers for Windows PE (the boot image)" section in this post for MDT 2010. It's stil very much valid for MDt 2012 Update 1 and MDT 2013.

http://www.deployvista.com/Default.aspx?tabid=78&EntryID=132

Note: After uppdating the deployment share (to get a new boot image), don't forget to replace the boot image in the WDS Console.

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Thank you for your response, Johan. Under the Out-of-Box Drivers node, I have it broken down by computer model. It seems as though every other model works except the 745. Here is how it is set up. Any ideas?

Before the previous administrator left, he moved the MDT Deployment Share to a new server and created new boot images. WDS is new to me so I am not quite sure how he did it, but the old boot images are still there. I tried using the old one which works, but went I click on deployment wizard it is pointed at an old UNC path. How do I change that?

I would like to figure it out on the new server and resolve it but if I could get the old server to work temporarily that would be great

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:02 PM
  • There is no need to create selection profiles for each model, the folder in out-of-box drivers itself is enough, then you simply set the Drivergroup property in the task sequence, so that MDT will use the correct folder when deploying.

For the boot images however, you should create two folders, and two selection profiles: WinPE x86 and WinPE x64

Copy (or import) the boot image drivers into each WinPE x86 / WinPE x64 folder, and then configure the deployment share to use the WinPE x86/x64 selection profiles

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:19 PM
  • The imaging process works for every model but the 745 so I would really like to avoid making that many changes if at all possible. I am thinking it is a driver issue only for that specific model. When I used a boot image from a year ago, I was actually able to get past the driver error. However, the deployment share is no longer on that specified server. Is there any way I can change the UNC path of the deployment share without regenerating the boot image? Once I regenerate the boot image, I receive the drive error again. Thankfully, I had another old boot image.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:21 PM
  • You can crank open the boot wim, modify the bootstrap.ini file with the new server/deployment share.

That being said, I would recommend to get your deployment share in shape, there will be other network/storage drivers you want to add in the future.

/ Johan

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Same issue. Only 745 with Broadcom 5754 network won't work.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:51 AM
  • I gave up and imaged a 755 and took out the hard drive and put it in the 745. It was definitely a newer driver issue because it worked until the drivers were updated in June.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:49 PM
  • I may be a little late, but I did it like this is on our environment:

I created a OOB Driver group and selection profile named "Drivers for ALL Clients" and manually dropped in wired network class drivers for all of our models.

For the deployment share Windows PE settings, I selected the "Drivers for ALL Clients" selection profile. Rebuilt the boot image, and ta-da.

Works as we add models as well, just drop in new drivers as needed, and rebuild the boot images. As it stands, we have a very diverse dell environment and there are only 18 drivers injected into the boot image.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:54 PM
  • The problem in this case is that the standard Broadcom driver is incompatible with WInPE, due to the fact that it uses a multi-level PNP Bus design, and that WinPE does not support multi-level device detection for custom device classes.

The solution for Broadcom devices is to use the "RIS" class of drivers for WinPE.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:09 PM