Impulse Bizman Promotions: Out of 2 very similar promotions, Which promotion get displayed on the web site? RRS feed

• Question

• We use the Impulse 5.2.SP1. We had a situation where 2 promtions say Promotion A and Promotion B were created such that they fall under the same context (e.g Same Department Category), same priority=1, same keyword=blank, same search profile, same position slot etc.. However, The promotion contents was different, they promoted 2 different HTML banners.

Issue:
    Only Promotion A- html banner was getting displayed on the web site.
    Promotion B was not getting displayed until Promotion A was rejected manually.

Question:
    How does FAST prioritize between these 2 very similar promotions when there is space for only one? Which promotion should get displayed out of these two?
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Sagar,

This type of issue would be best handled by opening a case with our Technical Support department.  After discussing this with some of my colleagues, I believe this case has already been raised to our Escalation Services team.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service & Support                          Microsoft | Services

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply.
    Not considering this as an issue, Could you please tell me what is the expected behaviour of FAST in such scenarios - where there are 2 or more similar promotions to be displayed ?

Is FAST supposed to display all the promotions, Alternatively - One after the other in a round robin fashion?
    I've observed this alternating behaviour in our lower environments & local environments.. Is this how FAST is supposed to work?

Many Thanks!

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Hi Sagar,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  Below is some additional information regarding this topic:

Returning multiple promotions per position

By default, the ER Server returns only the active promotion for each position in the result set.

To include all the valid promotions defined for each position in the result set, modify the ReturnAllPromotions

parameter for the PromotionProcessor:

<processor-instance processor-ref="PromotionProcessor" >

<parameter-list>

<parameter name="ReturnAllPromotions">

<value>true</value>

</parameter>

</parameter-list>

</processor-instance>

ReturnAllPromotions can be set to two values:

• false - the default, returns only the active promotion for each position in response to the

getPromotionsForPosition() method. The active promotion is the valid, approved promotion with the

highest priority for the position.

• true - returns all valid promotions as a Java list of promotion objects in response to the

getPromotionsForPosition() method.

Let is know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service & Support                          Microsoft | Services

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:18 PM